Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hello. I'm a teen, and I was interested in the iPod nano. I would use it to listen to the radio, and listen to a bit of music.

I already have the iPod Touch 5th generation and a Samsung S4 Mini, but none of them have a radio... any advice?

It looks really nice...and not too expensive. :/

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Hello. I'm a teen, and I was interested in the iPod nano. I would use it to listen to the radio, and listen to a bit of music.

I already have the iPod Touch 5th generation and a Samsung S4 Mini, but none of them have a radio... any advice?

It looks really nice...and not too expensive. :/

I mean... Where would you be listening to the radio? Would an app like iheartradio or even pandora not suffice? It's your money, but I wouldn't, personally.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Original poster
I mean... Where would you be listening to the radio? Would an app like iheartradio or even pandora not suffice? It's your money, but I wouldn't, personally.

Possibly on the way back from school, but I'm thinking that carrying an iPod nano alongside my phone would be an issue. :(
I like the iPods design a lot, if only it had a GPS and could Strava on it...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Possibly on the way back from school, but I'm thinking that carrying an iPod nano alongside my phone would be an issue. :(
I like the iPods design a lot, if only it had a GPS and could Strava on it...

The Samsung S4 Mini apparently already has FM radio on it. Do you not have a radio app somewhere on it? If you're rooted and on other ROMs, Spirit FM should work. It's a bit pricy and kinda weird in general, but it works well.

Strava also has an app on Android.

I use my Nano for the radio feature mostly. I like being able to tag stuff with it when the station has the ability to do so. I wish it would let me edit the station names though, which is the advantage of the radio apps included on the Android phones. I have more than 20 stations favorited and while I know some of them by heart, there's others that I don't.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Original poster
The Samsung S4 Mini apparently already has FM radio on it. Do you not have a radio app somewhere on it? If you're rooted and on other ROMs, Spirit FM should work. It's a bit pricy and kinda weird in general, but it works well.

Strava also has an app on Android.

I use my Nano for the radio feature mostly. I like being able to tag stuff with it when the station has the ability to do so. I wish it would let me edit the station names though, which is the advantage of the radio apps included on the Android phones. I have more than 20 stations favorited and while I know some of them by heart, there's others that I don't.

I live in Canada, and the Canadian version doesn't come with the radio app - but I will most certainly look into rooting my S4 Mini!
True, I currently use Strava on my Android and it works well, but for just running I thought I could use the iPod Nano.

Do you think a new iPod nano will come out anytime soon? It looks like Apple abondoned the iPod lineup. :/

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I live in Canada, and the Canadian version doesn't come with the radio app - but I will most certainly look into rooting my S4 Mini!

True, I currently use Strava on my Android and it works well, but for just running I thought I could use the iPod Nano.

Do you think a new iPod nano will come out anytime soon? It looks like Apple abondoned the iPod lineup. :/

Hopefully they didn't omit the FM chip altogether on the CA variant.

The Nike app on the Nano works pretty good. I only use it for walking though.

I think Apple has abandoned us. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.