Is the iPod touch near the end?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Avaj, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Avaj macrumors member

I'm arguing with someone that says the iPhone will eventually make the iPod null and void.

Do you find any truth in that statement??

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The iPod classic will most likely be discontinued this September, but the iPod touch will be around for a LONG time.

People aren't going to be forced into AT&T just to listen to music.

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I know plenty of people are buying Pay & Go iPhones to use as '3G iPod touches', and don't use them as phones very often. So yes, I suppose.

EDIT: A difference of opinion, I see ;)

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

I doubt it. The iPod will definitely stay - if not the classic then def. the touch and i'm sure the nano as well - for people who want something small and cheap.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I guess at that point i leave Applle as my music player provider. Because, no way in *&^^ will i be forced to:

1. buy a cell phone to listen to music
    2. be forced to crappy AT&T coverage where i live to listen to music

I think the classic will be around until the capacity is higher on the flash based side. I think the Nano will stay.....

6. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

You have no clue. :p

What will all the people with ********s of CDs buy?!

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If a Pay & Go iPhone were an option for everybody the OP's friend might have a point. As long as most of us have to take an expensive monthly plan in order to get an iPhone the Touch has a future.

8. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I listened to a MacFormat podcast today and one of the guys on it predicted the demise of the iPod classic this year. I imagine it will disappear when flash storage becomes cheaper in the higher capacities.

The nano (or it's successor) will remain as an entry level model but I think the touch will be that main iPod model for Apple.

9. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

agree. ipod touch is phone with out the contract.

the app store is thriving off the touch.

10. jackoverfull macrumors newbie

jackoverfull

Eventually, yes, soon, no.
    Well "eventually" everything will be "null and void"…:D

The iPod touch is for the ones who want the iPhone's features (apps, internet connection and so on) without having them on a phone. The classic, nano and shuffle cover other uses…

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You just wait. 64GB iPod touch supersedes the 120GB iPod classic. 128GB iPod touch follows six months later (instead of September 2010) to fill the gap more quickly.

12. kshat28 macrumors member

I think there is chance if they offer iphones on all carriers and do not require you to get a data plan.

13. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

no, you will always have people that just want the medial player and not the phone. apple is smart enough to realize this and wouldn't take themselves out of this market when the are making a killing on it.

14. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

The classic and the Touch are totally different. Surely theres room in this world for both of them.

There are still alot of traditionalists out there who prefer the click wheel. So it wont vanish as soon as you think.

15. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

I agree-- I already have AT&T for my phone, but I bought a Touch because I didn't want the expensive monthly data plan. The places where I want internet access on the Touch are home and work, and there's WiFi in both places. There are plenty of times when I don't want to carry the Touch, and my Sony-Ericsson phone is a lot more compact. Well, not a LOT...:D
    For my purposes, keeping phone and pod separate makes a lot of sense.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There really isn't, seeing as Apple is phasing out the former.

Cutoff at 64GB is a little premature, so I'll say that the iPod classic will be killed when the iPod touch hits 128GB.

And the "traditionalists" will just have to change, because Apple doesn't care.

17. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I take my Touch all over and if I ever lost/damaged it it would be half the price of an iPhone to replace. That's important to me.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The iPhone is going to replace the iPod? That's downright daft, sorry.

19. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

... particularly in places where the data plan is extortionate. iPod will be around for a long while...

20. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Tallest Skil is right,
    It's not the iPod that will be getting wiped out by an iPhone.
    It will be the iPod Classics getting wiped out by the iPod touches.
    However I do believe they will keep the Nano in the line, as well as the shuffle.

21. Funplex macrumors regular

I highly doubt the iPod itself will ever be gone or replaced by the Touch. The iPod Touch, in my opinion, is a great PDA, but makes for a terrible iPod. I use it for everything except music because it's such a pain in the butt to use. You have to constantly remove it from your pocket to do things.

The iPod with clickwheel is a highly refined design, and works fantastically even while it's in a pocket. The iPod Classic is an extremely nice design, and holds a lot of music and I can't see them stopping production of iPods like that.

22. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I somewhat agree, but I woudln't say 'terrible'. I just bought an inline remote/mic to solve this problem and add mic functionality for my iPod Touch. The fact I couldn't pause or skip to the next track without using the screen was an issue for me too (I like listening to tracks on shuffle or podcasts at night), but it needn't be. The same was probably true for changing the volume before the 2G iPod Touch.

More on topic, I think there will always be a market for a non-phone iPod. Without the electronics for the the phone there is more room for storage capacity etc. My dad got a 16GB iPhone and I got a 32GB iPod Touch, and the touch is thinner despite having twice the storage, because it doesn't have to have all the phone stuff in there.

23. qacjared macrumors regular

Toshiba does make 1.8" hard drives (Used in the classic and air) up to 250 GB now. http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pa...HardDiskDrives/MKxx29GSGSeries/MKxx29GSGSpecs

We could see an 250 GB Classic for those with years old multi-hundred gigabyte iTunes libraries, with smaller capacity flashed based touches for the rest of us.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's not like the classic can fit that many CDs either ;)

25. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Don't be too quick too assume so.
    Maybe the September after a 128GB iPod touch is released.
    If the iPod classic is discontinued this September then that will leave people with a 64GB iPod max (assuming there will be a 64GB iPod touch before September.

Well in America we can't get a PAYG iPhone.