is the ipod touch really worth it? how i jailbreak it??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by optimus prime, Feb 17, 2008.

1. optimus prime macrumors regular

i know there have been countless posts of how to jailbreak an ipod touch... but i just cant seem to find one that will really benifit me.

do you guys think the ipod touch is worth it? i think i'm going to sell my turntables/mixer/vinyl to purchase a 16gb ipod touch. is it really worth it?

also how do i go about jailbreaking it?

what programs do i need? itunes?

thanks!!

2. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

3. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

From what I gather from those broken sentences, you arent sure if you should get one.
    No one can make the decision for you, but what I suggest is to go to an Apple store and play with a Touch.
    See how you like it.

4. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

i mean my girlfriend has one and i love it. unfortunately, hers isn't jailbroken and its only an 8gb. i want to get the 32gb and i can get one for about 450 or so.. around there... and im not sure if dropping that much just for another ipod is worth it... i would get the 16gb but thats not enough memory.

5. jbarr macrumors regular

It all really depends on what you want to do with it, and if you think Apple will provide those solutions.

I was VERY set on keeping with Apple's upgrade path, but now after seeing one specific application, I'm hooked on a Jailbroken IPT. The application is "Wikipedia.app".

Simply put, for me, having an almost complete 2GB dump of searchable and readable text content from Wikipedia is worth the price I paid for my 8gb iPod Touch. And "stock" features like integrated WiFi with Web browsing, the "January Update" applications, and Jailbroken applications like "WiFi Switch", "Books", and a few games are really just bonuses.

6. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

i want to get a 32gb one now... i heard something about $20 updates?? and i lose that if i jailbreak it? what does that mean

7. Joshh1 macrumors regular

Joshh1

The new iPod touch's come with the January Update ($20.00).

That includes the applications:
    Mail
    Stocks
    Notes
    Weather
    Maps

With the SDK being released sometime this month most apps will be available through iTunes. No need to jailbreak although the apps will most likely cost a few dollars. :rolleyes:

8. ydb1914 macrumors member

ydb1914

borrow it from your GF for a couple of days, then return it to her & if you miss it, then go to circuit city & 32G IPT is on sale for $474.99 ;)

9. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

alright, so i decided im going to get the 16gb. the 32 is wayyy too much money.

if i get it from the store, will it have the update already? or will i have to pay more?

should i jailbreak it?

sorry for all hte questions. i just liek to know as much as i can before i make a large purchase :)

10. Joshh1 macrumors regular

Joshh1

It will come with Firmware 1.1.3 and the January Update..

Jailbreaking is up to you.. But I wouldn't with the SDK coming out..

11. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i have a 30GB video i keep all my music on, and an 8GB touch i just keep about 3GB in playlists on and use basically as a portable browser.

i have an aux input in my car and pretty much live off the ipod, at first it was strange navigating through the music, but once in a while i go back to the 30GB and it's a pain, the touch is so much more friendly now that i'm used to it.

12. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

can someone enlighten me on this? thanksss

13. WaxTheories macrumors member

Jailbreaking allows for third-party apps to be used on the IPT. Apple is releasing their SDK this month which will allow the same thing without having to jailbreak the iPod, which is not supported by Apple. This means there will be hundreds of applications available for your iPod Touch through iTunes, and you won't have to mess with the firmware of your iPod.

14. jbarr macrumors regular

I think we're ALL looking forward to seeing what the SDK brings and how Apple will handle the distribution of applications--I know I am. Just don't think this will happen overnight, though. In my opinion, the February release of the SDK will likely be a beta release. Applications will start coming out, but I suspect that it will be several months before we start seeing high-quality apps. Of course, I genuinely hope I am wrong.

Having seen and been involved in the development of applications in the Palm OS world, I believe that the potential for the IPT is HUGE!

15. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

16. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular