Is the job market still down?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ayeying, May 31, 2009.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

So 2 weeks ago, my internship came to a close and I found myself quite... surprised? I guess... I knew my internship was a temporary position and such, so that wasn't much of a surprise but how fast it ended I guess surprised me quite a bit.

Anyways, I've been seeking on Craigslist (how I found my internship in the first place) and so far no luck for over a week now. I've replied to many ads and only one came back but rejected me.

My field is web development and so far there's many jobs listed but the requirements just throws me off cause I'm not an expert in all the requirements such as php/ajax, etc. that most places require.

Anyone else feel like the Job Market is still in a hole?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Without wanting to be rude...

From what you say you just aren't skilled enough.

I'm not involved in it, but I imagine the web dev arena to be a crowded one. Companies and people will be looking for value more than ever. If you're not up to speed with good old PHP, and the current buzz word/tech AJAX, you really are going to have a hard time. There's probably a whole bunch of script kiddies building sites in their bedrooms that already do know this stuff inside out.

Maybe your time would be better spent doing some studying of these?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife (who has tons of experience) was laid off last January. She's still out of work. You can count on one hand the number of job interviews she's had. While some things are starting to look up economically, the job situation isn't one of them.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

job market is not projected to recover base case until 2010. It will not return to the 4-5% unemployment until 2013

5. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Hmn, from what I've seen its highly based on region. Here in North Texas recruiters literally brawl over available prospects on monster, career builder, etc. Personally I have roughly +10 years experience as a Business Analyst/Project Manager; [nothing too fancy] but when I posted my resume on the search engines recently I got a pretty moderate amount of interest. In fact a coworker of mine currently is experiencing a bidding war between two companies that want to steal her away from her current position and our current employer trying to match her existing offers. I think it's all about location, location, location. Cost of living is super cheap here and many Fortune 500's have a presence in the area.