Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I have a iPad Pro 10.5 inch I am having trouble figuring out if the keyboard and pen is worth buying. Any recommendations.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have the 12.9 but totally worth it for me.

I use my pencil a lot but I think it's better to nav with the 12.9 than the smaller iPads

Reactions: max2

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I don't use my pencil all that much but I use the keyboard almost all the time. It depends on how you use your iPad.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I don't use my pencil all that much but I use the keyboard almost all the time. It depends on how you use your iPad.

That is my problem I am not much of a drawer or type that much on a iPad. (ok may type but only replying to forum threads and sometimes surfing the internet)

I am not sure if it is worth to get the keyboard just for this.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have the stylus, but so far its not being used very much. I mostly got it so my kids can draw with the iPad and so far I've not found too much use for it, though I think once iOS 11 comes out it may be useful for note taking.

As for the keyboard, I'll be getting that at some point, again mostly for my kids as they'll be doing their homework on the iPad.

JoePa2624

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
AZ
I use both all day every day but I use it for meetings at work and then notes at class in the evening.

Explaining how you use an iPad would help in getting recommendations. This iPad can be used in so many different ways now.

Reactions: sracer

yang88she

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
ATL
really enjoying the pen when I use drawing apps, really allowed me get back to being creative. I have no need for the keyboard since my 12" macbook is typically used for all my major typing needs

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Keyboard is worth it if you do a lot of typing for papers, notes, emails, iMessage especially at a desk or on a plane.

Pencil is worth it you take hand written notes for your profession or hobby or you are an artist.

I have both. I used the keyboard most when I am at work to respond to personal emails/txt and when I am traveling via plane. Pencil only gets used when I am taking hand written notes at home or doodling...I could probably go without it but I see the $80 I spent on eBay trivial and could always sell it if it collects too much dust.

Reactions: LibbyLA

jcborden

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I have a iPad Pro 10.5 inch I am having trouble figuring out if the keyboard and pen is worth buying. Any recommendations.
I have the pencil which I use a lot with Graphic for vector drawings - superb. I couldn't justify the cost of the ASK for the amount I thought I would use it so have just picked up the Logitech Keys to Go bluetooth keyboard for £29 and have to say that I am really impressed. Yes, not quite as convenient as the ASK, but the keys feel very similar (to my testing in the Apple store) and it means I can leave my iPad in its full case (currently ESR) all of the time and just pull out they keyboard when I will need it.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Keyboard is worth it. Pencil is YMMV. I thought I would be using it every day, but as of yet, I've only used it for a few scribbles / drawings that I'm not proud of. I'll eventually use it when I take notes, annotate, etc. but as of now it's housed in the Pencil Case.

You don't realize how much you like typing on the iPad until you have a solid keyboard.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Keyboard is worth it. Pencil is YMMV. I thought I would be using it every day, but as of yet, I've only used it for a few scribbles / drawings that I'm not proud of. I'll eventually use it when I take notes, annotate, etc. but as of now it's housed in the Pencil Case.

You don't realize how much you like typing on the iPad until you have a solid keyboard.

Yes to all this. With the separate keyboard, the whole screen is available for viewing whatever you are looking at. Real keyboard with tactile feedback is much better for me. Some of that may have to do with how much typing I've done. I learned to type on a manual (non-electric) typewriter and did lots of typing on typewriters before there were word processors and computers. If you've grown up with onscreen keyboards and touch screens, typing on a real keyboard may not be nearly as comfortable as it is for me.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
I have both and would not consider going without a keyboard. Sure I’d maybe leave it at home occasionally but I’d never own a pro and not own a keyboard for it.

The pencil is more of a “I like owning it” accessory. I will say that I use is a fair amount just to navigate the ipad and its a pleasure to do so. Completely unnecessary but still fun.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I have both and would not consider going without a keyboard. Sure I’d maybe leave it at home occasionally but I’d never own a pro and not own a keyboard for it.

The pencil is more of a “I like owning it” accessory. I will say that I use is a fair amount just to navigate the ipad and its a pleasure to do so. Completely unnecessary but still fun.

Yes but what cases work with the keyboard ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.