Is the keyboard less accurate or is it just me?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iphnhelp, Jul 7, 2013.

1. iphnhelp macrumors regular

Anyone think the ios 7 keyboard is less accurate? Is the thinner lines and fonts causing you to hit the wrong keys? Or is it just a little buggy and laggy because of the beta? I don't know what it is but I'm making way to many mistakes when typing. Maybe it's just me?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

I'm typing away like a madwoman. For me, the accuracy is heaps better than the previous keyboard.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yes.

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

As far as I can tell, the keyboard functions in nearly exactly the same way as before... it just looks different.

5. typeface macrumors regular

"Is the keyboard less accurate or is it just me?"

It's just you ;)

6. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Haven't noticed anything too crazy, just a little lag which is understandable in beta.

7. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

I think the OP is absolutely right. I have two iPhone 5s. One running iOS 7 and one on iOS 6.

Under iOS 7 I often start typing before the app is 'ready' in which case my first few key presses are missed. I also seem to be able to type faster than the keyboard can keep up with. Again, key presses are often missed. Of course, it's still in beta so perhaps the responsiveness will be improved.

Going back to iOS 6 on my other phone really does demonstrate the overall difference in responsiveness. Obviously newer software often requires faster hardware but, at the moment, by comparison, iOS 6 is a pleasure to use.

8. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

GUYS, THERE'S A WOMAN HERE! :eek:

:D

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Two, at least. ;)

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Maybe even three. :eek:

The keyboard is fine but the auto correct is horrendous. I'll write "we will be there" and we is corrected to they. It's bizarre.

11. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

For some reason I agree, I feel absurd for saying it, but I have less accuracy (and that stupid .co.uk button).

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Agreed. I'm Typing way faster with less mistakes on the iOS 7 keyboard.

13. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

I think part of the problem is that it doesn't know MY words yet. I think that it has some learning to do when it comes to the words that I am actually trying to say.

Beta. Thats what I am blaming. The keyboard will be just as efficient once we reach the GM.

14. whocaresit, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

whocaresit macrumors 6502a

iOS 7 Makes it Harder to Type. The Key Cap text is smaller and less easily readable. And the "key caps" don't overlap the two adjacent keys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I noticed when typing in the URL/Google text box I often hit .com instead of space as they have made the space button smaller. Very frustrating

16. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Definitely the same for me as well.

17. cookies! macrumors 6502

Ditto. This is the worst. I have to redo my muscle memory :(

18. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

19. twintin macrumors 6502

Really ? Looking at post #14, the space button looks same size as in iOS 6.

20. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Nope, different keyboard when using the URL text box

21. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

The .com button is a bane of my existence.

The IME as a whole on the iPhone needs to be reworked. SO many better ideas out there have been implemented.

22. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

For whatever reason my typing confidence have noticeably decreased. I chalked it up to beta differences at first, but I never seemed to recover. The keyboard itself is a lot better with excellent auto-correct improvements that are now much more grammatical and context aware. It's just my typing accuracy itself that has worsened. Psychologically I am not hitting the right keys anymore as the targets are thinner and weaker.

23. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I hated this for a couple days but then I lol'd at the unintended google searches i did all with .com attached to them

24. matty.p macrumors 6502

I've actual had the opposite reaction but it seems to be a bit iffy. I think they keyboard is less accurate but their is a slight bit of lag that takes a few days to compensate, it's especially noticeable when switching between iOS 6 and back to iOS 7. The autocorrect seems much much better though and is more context aware. One of the most annoying bugs to me was the "we're" and "were" correction. Now the os seems to look to the following word you type to make sure to pick the correct one, very cool and seems to work. I imagine the lag will go away through the betas.