Is the Kindle good for browsing forums?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by piatti, Apr 3, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

I was thinking of reading forums while in the bus or car with the unlimited 3G.

2. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

How does it look like when u try to browse forums like this on a Kindle?

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Is there a way you can download the latest contents of the forum into your laptop so that you can browse it the exactly the same way you could if you had internet? (and could this apply to any sites?)

For example instead of needing internet access to read the news one could download the latest news (download all links on the front page)

like wise the same for forums except "download all links on the first 10 pages" and then you could view it exactly the same way as if you were on the internet except you wouldn't be able to sign in.

----------

To the point that reading is almost impossible?

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I use mine for web browsing sometimes, and whereas it is very clunky to use, it's pretty good for reading long posts on the go. Just make sure you get the keyboard version if you plan on replying. ;)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. It is absolutely horrible. If you just wanted to check one thread for something you were waiting on, that would be doable, but beyond that you will want to kill yourself.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I know you were referring to one of the eInk versions, but FWIW I actually use my Kindle Fire to browse and sometimes even mod on MR.

It's not as nice as on my iPad or a Mac, but it is serviceable.

B

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The problem is that most posts on these forums are short tidbits. Flipping the page every 3 seconds becomes pretty tedious after the first minute or so. I wouldn't recommend it.

For reading news articles on the go, it's great.

9. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

You can only view one post at a time on Kindle?

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I have used the web browser once to look at mac rumors forums. It was so painful that I have never tried it again.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No. You see it as you would in any other web browser. Get it in landscape mode and you're laughing. As I said, it is a bit clunky using the arrow keys to navigate, but certainly bearable. I browse and post in these forums and many others with my Kindle often.

What I wouldn't recommend is that you get a Kindle, just to read forums with. A cheap touchscreen tablet will certainly do you better, such as the Kindle Fire or a cheap Android thing. The classic Kindle is aimed at reading ebooks, and if you do plan to read ebooks with it, then go for it. Web Browsing is something it can do, but isn't intended for and buying it just for that when there are other products that can do it better is foolish.

12. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

But Kindle Fire doesn't have 3G.

I will use it as a e-reader but being able to read forums would be a bonus. It would be nice if someone could take a picture of the screen so I would know how forums look like.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you go. This is on the newest (non-touch) Kindle and on WiFi. It took about twenty seconds to load each of these pages on a fast WiFi connection. Like I said, it is pretty much unusable. The mobile version of the forums would probably work/look better if you want to try that.

I don't think it will work on these forums, but the free app Calibre has a feature called "recipes" than can automatically scrape web pages then make a PDF from the info and send it to your Kindle. You might be able to use that to put together some web sites to read while on the bus. Calibre comes with a bunch of recipes preconfigured for popular web sites or you can make your own. Just an idea.

Here are some user contributed recipes.

14. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I didn't realize it took really long time to load. Does it take a long time to load you email too? What about a news site?

Thanks for the Calibre recipe suggestion.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Any site that is complex or graphics heavy is really slow. If you can find mobile versions of sites that are pretty much text only, they are not too bad.

http://kinstant.com/

Bookmark the above site on your Kindle. It has links to many mobile versions of popular web sites that will be much better than trying to read forums on a Kindle.

16. fruitycups macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

No way but perfect for reading

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Kindle is awful for everything except eBooks.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have a Kindle DX, and even on its 10" screen, I'd rather have an east German poo in my mouth than try that again.

19. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

If you want to do a Google search, would you have to just hope that if the results you are getting has mobile versions? I like browsing the net with various Google searches.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think it would depend on the site. Some sites automatically detect you are on a mobile browser and give you the mobile version. Most don't though.

21. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yep, but the e-ink makes it better then the iPad or Kindle Fire for reading ebooks (that's what it is designed for).

22. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

23. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

@Weaselboy

How long does it take to load mobile version of this forum? I just tried this forum on my iPod touch and it automatically loads the mobile version; I guess it's not the same for Kindle?

Does anyone have 3G version of Kindle? How long does it take to load a mobile version of Macrumors forum on 3G on Kindle?

24. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

asking how long it takes will depend on a variety of different factors including the network in the area, the load on the network, proximity to a tower and signal strength. Somebody telling you it takes 30 seconds or a minute to load a page at their location will most likely not be the same for you.