Is the lack of bluetooth a big problem for you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nlivo, Feb 10, 2008.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

We always hear the usual complaints about the iPhone (no MMS, no multiple deleting of emails, etc...) but I am amazed at how little I hear about the lack of proper bluetooth. Is it not that big of a deal? For me, this is my biggest concern about getting an iPhone. I like to transfer stuff between phones, quickly transfer a photo of two to my computer. Do you guys not miss that? How come I hear so little about the lack of a proper bluetooth??

2. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

I honestly rarely used it when I had it on my other phones. Email is SO much easier.

3. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I'd kill for A2DP profiles for the iPhone. I have stereo Bluetooth speakers in my motorcycle helmet, and being able to play music wirelessly was one of the main reasons I bought the iPhone. I was pretty bummed to find out it didn't have it. I haven't jailbroken or hacked my phone, but if there was a Bluetooth hack I wouldn't think twice.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I never used Bluetooth on the other phones I had. The iPhone is the first phone that I have really used it on and even then, it's only used to pair with my Garmin GPS handsfree functions. Works great.

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's certainly an issue.

Lack of data pairing isn't so bad, but I'd really love to be able to send/receive photos to other people etc. Some areas in the UK send send video clips etc to people in Bluetooth range, and it's bizarre to be the only person there not to get them with a pretty expensive phone.

I'd love to be able to get my bluetooth keyboard working occasionally too...

I just think it's a bit less of a problem than half a dozen other things that really need fixing.

Phazer

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Sure, I'd like to have it but I came from Verizon where they disable everything but headset profiles so it's not like I had it to begin with. You can be quite sure that AT&T has a hand in it to help prevent tethering. They want to keep their data use down and, if you lock the phone down, it really minimizes how much data is being used.

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

If you are only using bluetooth to transfer files to your own computer, than it is no big deal to me, since this is all handled with iTunes and iPhoto.

Plugging in your iPhone is like syncing your iPod. You transfer music through iTunes, and photos through iPhoto. It's pretty seamless. If you want to connect to other people's computers, than bluetooth isn't going to work for you.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I thought I'd miss it but haven't really at all. It works perfectly with my car kit and about the only other thing I've ever used Bluetooth for is tethering to my laptop. As this is explicitly prohibited by my O2 contract, it doesn't really matter that the iPhone won't do it.

9. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I think it is a very big problem indeed. :mad:

One of the ace things with my last phone (K800i) was the amount of things I could do with my Bluetooth!

Such as bluejacking (worked ace), and sending loads of files such as music and pictures from phone-to-phone in college.

With the current bluetooth on the iPhone, it's a big disappointment.

10. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Lack of proper bluetooth profiles is a real downer to me. At the least I would like an option to sync contacts/calendar data, without having to pull out the data cable every single time.

11. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i do miss the ability to send/receive files via bluetooth, but it's not a total deal-breaker for me. and i would like stereo bluetooth, but i've never used it before with any other phone or device, so i never feel like i'm missing anything with the iphone.

since it does at least have the handsfree bluetooth profile that lets it connect to my car's bluetooth system and upload my contacts to it, i'm satisfied for the moment...

12. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

No, it's my first phone with Bluetooth so it's not a big deal. But I do find myself wishing I could pair a keyboard with it or download pics from it over Bluetooth from time to time.

13. B.A. macrumors regular

I just want a simple on/off switch for BT on the home screen without jailbreaking. is that too much to ask?

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, I honestly only ever used it to transfer pictures to my computer and now that's handled via USB, so no big deal.

15. gotzero macrumors 68040

I am really looking forward to this when the SDK is out so I can get some work done. That small number padless apple keyboard will be looking a lot better at that point...

16. Aries326 macrumors 6502

I would love to have full featured BT. I used BT on my L7 to transfer ringtones, and contact info. I guess Apple expects people to just use email to transfer pictures and they don't want people to have the ability to share ringtones and songs over BT.

17. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

This is one of several issue that has kept me (so far) from making the leap and buying an iPhone. I have a Treo 650 (pretty old phone!) and use it to bluetooth ringtones, files, programs, pictures, and contact information between myself and other computers and other bluetooth-enabled phones. If I couldn't bluetooth items for some reason, I could always count on beaming the information through infrared. I also sync through bluetooth which is wonderful!

I also use bluetooth to connect to the internet through my PC to download large files (like audiobooks) because it's faster than using the phone's GPRS connectivity. Of course, that functionaly would be unnecessary with the iPhone's wi-fi capability, which I don't have on my Treo.

I'm sure that the iPhone will win out in the end (it's just so darn cool!), but I have a list of functionality items that I know that I will have to give up when I do (waiting for 3G like so many others). Bluetooth file transfer is one of them.

Lisa

18. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

This might be common sense to the cell phone enthusiasts out there but, when Bluetooth is limited, as it is in the iPhone, is it simply the software that does not allow full access to what Bluetooth can do? Or is it actually the physical Bluetooth chip in the phone that blocks certain features?

If it's software then it could very well be changed (or hacked) in the future.

19. yayaba macrumors 6502

I also hate how the bluetooth menu options are buried way under the Settings menu.

20. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's software, so yes, it could be fixed. But so could a lot of things that haven't eight months later.

Phazer

21. ascender macrumors 68000

No. With the built-in email and the good synching, I really don't need it apart from using my bluetooth headset.

22. Bondobob macrumors newbie

Lack of Bluetooth Sucks

I'd like to see the ipod side work with bluetooth headsets. Hear in the peoples republic of Kalifornia, it's illegal to drive with the headphones in your ears and in July, it will be illegal to talk on a cell phone & drive without a hands free device. Also, I used to be able to sync my Q9 via bluetooth and it rocked.

My opinion? It should be a must have.

Bob

23. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Not an issue for me at all.

Would it be nice?

Sure, but it's just not something I really care about.