Is the latest 2011 API stable?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by 1458279, Nov 26, 2011.

1. 1458279 Suspended

I'm watching the WWDC2011 and have resisted upgrades so far, but it looks very temping.

I usually wait once something new comes out.

I'm using Xcode 4.01 and API's from probably march '11.

The ARC and other upgrades look great, but are they stable? I haven't heard much so far, so I'm guessing they are.

Also I understand the API is backward compatible with iOS 4, is that true?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

ARC is compile-time. It does not need runtime support so it should be backwards compatible with iOS 4.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

You're also not forced to use ARC when you upgrade... It's a checkbox each time you create a new file. I haven't learned how to use it yet, so I'm still using the classic memory management retain/release system, even though I'm no good at that either... Do one of Stanford's new iOS videos cover ARC?

4. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

IDK about Stanford's, but the WWDC2011 has a brief overview and a separate video on it. It looks interesting.

Are you using the rest of the updates? I saw one about custom controls, views, etc...

They also use the LLVC compiler. Saw the debugging of the graphics, that looks pretty cool, you can step thru openGL stuff.

I just don't want to jump into something until I know it's been mostly flushed of bugs :D

I'll have to check out the Stanford vids!

It's a bit of a pain keeping up on everything, I wonder if there's any good books on these new API's and what they have to offer. Game Center got some cool updates!

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hmm, I thought it was a checkbox each time you create a new project. New files within that project are automatically ARC'd unless you add compiler-flags to them.

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Maybe it remains as a checkbox option for new files up until you finally check a file to use ARC?

I am using the new compiler (I think, I'm using whatever the newest things are that will still run under iOS 4, don't want to break my apps for the people who haven't upgraded to iOS 5 yet...)

As far as everything else... I haven't used storyboards, but maybe I'll look into those for the project I'm planning on starting this December...

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Have you used XCode 4.2 ? It's under Project Settings->Build Settings->Apple LLVM 3.0 compiler - Language. The option is called Objective-C Automatic Reference Counting.

It's not a per-file setting at all, it's like dejo said, it's per project.

8. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

I've been using the LLVM compiler and LLDB debugger for a while now without issue. I trust LLVM with my C/Objective-C code. In fact, I prefer it and I recommend it to people. At the very least for it's vastly superior error messages.

I know it is weaker than GCC in C++/Objective-C++ though.

9. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Just clarify, though it is a project setting, you can turn it on or off per file, it's some semi-cryptic flag that you set in "Compile Soirces" in "Build Phases".

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

-fobjc-arc and -fno-objc-arc ;)

But then again, that's pretty custom and quite out of scope of "checkboxes". The Checkbox is on a per project basis as far as I've seen.