Is the LED flash alert in beta 1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by helloimD4NNY, Jun 7, 2011.

1. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

2. f00f macrumors 65816

Settings, General, Accessibility, LED Flash for Alerts

3. dspalton macrumors 6502a

4. angelnilo macrumors member

yes it is. is it only for calls tho?
    i have gotten text messages and it doesnt turn on. but i have seen it turn on for notifications, like facebook..any thoughts?

5. Kubus macrumors regular

6. helloimD4NNY thread starter macrumors regular

It works for my text messages... flashes 3 times per message.

7. nelly29 macrumors member

Does the led flash every once in a while until you check your message or will it only blink 3 times times per message then turn off? I hope it keeps going until you check the message! ;)

8. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

It flashed twice when I tested. I think it depends on how many times you want to be notified of an alert.

9. nelly29 macrumors member

Oh yes thanks that makes sense that it is linked to the notification amount settings.... ;)

10. mattkowalski macrumors member

Please tell me it's not as bright as when used as a photo flash? Or is it the world's brightest message notification LED? This changes everything. Again.

11. dspalton macrumors 6502a

It is pretty bright, but i did see it in the dark so....
    Hopefully it gets made a bit dimmer.

12. sdfd504 macrumors regular

How do you get it to work? I have it turned on but it never flashes when I get a call or any alert

13. muledogus macrumors 6502

Mine has only worked once. It was last night while I was in bed and got a words with friends notification. My phone was face down on my nightstand and it still looked like the whole room lit up. My girlfriend thought my phone exploded.

14. Grimes macrumors regular

Do you think this functionality is added because there may be another light added to the next gen iPhone? Seems like it is almost a "well we can make it work using the flash on iP4s" type of thing to me...

15. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

It seems like so. Although the iP4 does have a LED flash, its facing away from the user but they still did something with it.

The next iPhone could have a flash facing at the user or something (Flash for the front facing camera??? O_O):D:rolleyes::cool::p:mad::eek::confused::eek::(:);):apple:

16. Nathan21585 macrumors member

Yeah its pretty bright. It almost blinded me while driving home last night. Had the phone sitting in my lap facedown. Wont do that again.

17. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I've been using the flash notification in BiteSMS for texts from my wife for a while. It is super bright there too so I wonder if there is any real control over it.
    I can see it through khaki pants/shorts and through jeans a little even. It is pretty useful in a louder environment except it is not blinking constantly. It also looks pretty cool when I have my clear case on. If the phone is on it's back, the entire case lights up.

18. vkuber macrumors regular

vkuber

I have enabled LED Flash for Alerts. I do not see anything when getting an email, sms, etc. Am I missing another option some were?

Update : Never mind it works. And now I am officially blind at work.

19. mms13 macrumors 6502

Well, it doesn't. Why would you hope for that? If you got a text right after you went to sleep, your battery would be donezo in the AM

20. mms13 macrumors 6502

I turned this feature off right after I got the first notification. It's WAY too bright and annoying. If it was at about 10% of what it is right now, it would be a cool addition.

21. helloimD4NNY thread starter macrumors regular

My LED stopped flashing for texts and calls. Does anyone know a fix for this?

22. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Could possibly be a beta bug. Try turning it off, rebooting the phone, and then turning it back on.

I'm actually a fan of this, but I wish there was an LED on the front. Most times my phone is back side down on a table, so I wouldn't see the LED light to begin with. I'm glad they added this feature though.

23. err404 macrumors 68020

I wonder if this is an indication of a hardware feature on the iPhone5. A dedicated notification LED would be a nice compliment to the new notification center.

24. nelly29 macrumors member

Well lets say I leave the room for 10 min....it would be nice to know if I missed anything without having to wake up my phone and check the lockscreen....if it only flashes once whats the point???? If it doesn't keep flashing every minute of two I don't see the point to the feature :confused:

Would be great if they could lower the voltage sent to the flash but Im not sure if the hardware supports this

25. helloimD4NNY thread starter macrumors regular

You were right. I had to turn off the led flash > reboot(lock + home) > turn led flash back on.

I'm a happy camper again. Haha.