Is the LED worth it for 17" mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krandall, Apr 20, 2008.

1. krandall macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a 17inch MBP in the next month or so and I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to an LED for an extra $100 and if so, which style, regular or glossy?

2. EricVT macrumors member

Yes, objectively.

Regular/Matte, subjectively.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

LED-backlit screens are generally brighter and have better viewing angles than fluorescent backlit screens. The LED option is a higher-resolution screen (more desktop real estate). I'd say go for it. Regular (matte) vs. glossy is a personal preference, though. Glossy screens look prettier, but they're a lot more prone to glare than matte screens. I personally prefer matte screens.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I went matte. So far so good, although I have not had a lot of time to play with it yet. Trying to get all my accessories in hand as the mbp arrived earlier than I anticipated.

Going to be a fun week for me though.

5. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Not a 17" owner here, but I do own a matte and I'm very happy with my decision. I know that everyone has their own opinion, but I think glossy only has its own specific uses and matte is just overall better for the average user.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

YES it is worth it. I would say the LED feature is 85% favorite part of the 17" hi res model.

7. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

8. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

The matte screen has a definite and perfectly-judged sheen to it and is beautiful to look at, as well as being better to work with if you do any kind of image editing/retouching.

Choosing the gloss screen seems to me as daft as taking out some clear boot polish and shining it up on the screen. It's a fad that might make shoot-em-up games look more "dynamic" by over-emphasising the reds of all the blood splatters and exploding heads, but that's about it.

I'd say the 17" LED matte high res screen is a very significant and highly worthwhile improvement over both the standard 17" screen and the 15" LED screens.

But if you go the gloss route, you might as well just stick with the standard screen.

9. JSF macrumors member

JSF

It is worth it. I have the hi res gloss and have no problems with glare. I use inside and outside. I don't understand why the people that picked matte try to beat down glossy screens all the time. The glossy screen has ben a joy to use for me. It's just a decision you will have to make. Go to the store and check them out.

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I think it's a tough choice between the 15" and 17" for different reasons. But if you are going to get the 17" anyway, get the hi-res LED. It's got the best screen I've ever seen on an Apple laptop for brightness and color accuracy. The default color profile is a bit washed out, but once you calibrate it it is stunning. You can also find color profiles here if you don't want to get color calibration hardware (I've posted profiles for one brand of the matte hi-res).

As far as matte or glossy it's a personal choice. Generally I would prefer glossy but the Apple retail stores only sell a configuration with the hi-res matte and I didn't want to custom order. If you are going to do photography, I'd recommend the matte, otherwise probably the glossy but it's really a personal decision.

11. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Fair enough – if you are happy with the glossy, I'm pleased the choice was there for you. But I think the users of matte screens are a bit more vocal and agitated about this because they see their options dwindling – like with glossy-only iMacs and Macbooks. I've even heard fears expressed that the next Apple Cinema Displays might be glossy only! I don't believe that for a minute, but the fact it's even being talked about is a sign of the times.
    So long as a choice is available, then all's happy and nice for everyone, whatever their choice.

12. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I also went Matte and I'm very happy with the decision.

13. shoarthing macrumors member

. . . IMHO it's a no-brainer: the 1920x1200 option is cheap, gives you noticeable extra battery-life [because of the LED backlighting], & allows easy-peasy display mirroring to affordable 24/27" 1920x1200 external displays.

I went for the matte for anti-glare & accuracy, despite the appeal of the glossy for video playback, & BTW thanks to bcaslis for his profiles.

14. felt. macrumors 6502a

15. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

...you totally just sold me on going glossy. :D

haha

16. renault4 macrumors regular

I have a 17in LED Glossy Hi Res--no complaints, works great.

sadly, I fear the OP's question is fated to the vicissitudes of the almost religious Matte vs Glossy debate.

One thing not mentioned here is that if you have any chance of doing so, get to an apple store and look at the units yourself (call ahead first to see what they have on display)--don't just listen to us!

17. pspiegel macrumors member

i have the 17inch high-res LED matte, LOVE IT!