Is the Lion installer deleted?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Awjvail, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Does anybody know if after the Lion installer has run its course and you've upgraded, is the installer deleted?

I'm just wondering because I really don't feel like redownloading the file from the MAS and want to burn the .dmg to a disc.

Perhaps it can be retrieved from a Time Machine backup from before I upgraded? What should I be looking for?

2. DandsM macrumors member

3. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Yes, it's deleted. You could look for the "Install Mac OS X" app in the Applications folder in one of your backups.

4. chipmullins macrumors newbie

Deleted Lion Installer

Hello Awjvail,

Once you have ran the Mac OS X Lion installer it gets deleted from your computer. This is to use the lowest amount of space possible. The only way to get the installer back is to download it again from the Mac App Store.

I am not really sure if you can retrieve it from a Time Machine backup, but it can be worth the try. I recommend buying the .dmg of the installer to a DVD and storing it until it will be used again.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I managed to retrieve my Lion download from the last backup before I updated.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

you can actually re-download it from the app store. Open the App Store, and hold the opt key while you press the purchased tab. The greyed out installed button will now be clickable. You can re-download it and just quit when it asks if you want to install. Go you your applications folder and there will be a lion installer...view contents and extract the dmg...burn away!

7. Awjvail thread starter macrumors 6502

Yay - I was able to retrieve it from my Time Machine backup.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

That's quicker. I didn't catch the deletion until the next day and by then my time machine had been dumped down to 3 hours...none of which were in the window of my install.

9. dyn macrumors 68030

That doesn't work, it is still a greyed out button telling me it is installed already.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I just did it yesterday and it worked fine.

11. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

I just duplicated it, renamed it, and put it into a different folder before installing Lion and it was still there when it was done installing.