Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I have a local idisk folder that syncs with the cloud idisk. I am concerned that some files may get lost whilst in the cloud for example if the the syncing system goes wrong. Therefore I want to back up these files and the easiest way for this to happen would be for time machine to do so to my time capsule. Does time machine back up local copy of idisk? :) I have not set time machine to not back up any folders on my mac. :)

Many thanks

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a local idisk folder that syncs with the cloud idisk. I am concerned that some files may get lost whilst in the cloud for example if the the syncing system goes wrong. Therefore I want to back up these files and the easiest way for this to happen would be for time machine to do so to my time capsule. Does time machine back up local copy of idisk? :) I have not set time machine to not back up any folders on my mac. :)

Many thanks

My understanding is that the files get backed up in sparsebundles in the username>library>filesync folders

/Jim

Edited: I just went looking in there... and did not see anything that I could decipher as my documents... so now I am not sure.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
If I enter my time capsule so that I can see what it has backed up it should show up iDisk if it has backed up ?

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
If I enter my time capsule so that I can see what it has backed up it should show up iDisk if it has backed up ?

I understand your desire to backup your iDisk. So to answer your question, your iDisk IS backed up by Time Machine in your TimeCapsule... "IF" you have local iDisk turned on in System Preferences.

Your backup of your iDisk will be located in your TimeCapsule / HD / user / library / filesync folder. It will be called your "(user) iDisk sparsebundle". It is a "bundle" of information all rolled up into a ball that represents your iDisk backup. If you were to open the sparsebundle you would see all of the folders and files that are your iDisk contents.

I trust apple but my stuff is backed up at least three times with one backup off site...

I also use SuperDuper to backup my local iDisk nightly to a separate volume of another external drive. You could accomplish the same thing for a donation of $10 with Carbon Copy Cloner.

This would give you three backup's of your local iDisk - the one on apple's server (off site), TimeCapsule and CCC.

You can also do the same thing with your entire HD using SuperDuper or CCC giving you a "Bootable" backup of your Mac (with the added benefit of yet a fourth backup of your iDisk sparse-image bundle). You would also have at least two methods of restoring a lost, broke or stolen Mac.

I keep all of my work stuff on local iDisk on three Mac's - Home, Work, and laptop. My backup method is replicated on all three - "Better to be safe then sorry"...

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you so much for your reply macsterguy. It really is very much appreciated. I believe that I do have the local idisk turned on. There is the idisk icon on my desk top whether I am connected to the internet or not and I am able to access all the files and folders in it. My idisk settings in system prefs look like this

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-16 at 14.27.00.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-16 at 14.27.00.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 90

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you so much for your reply macsterguy. It really is very much appreciated. I believe that I do have the local idisk turned on. There is the idisk icon on my desk top whether I am connected to the internet or not and I am able to access all the files and folders in it. My idisk settings in system prefs look like this

Yes, your local idisk is turned on.

/Jim

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
This would give you three backup's of your local iDisk - the one on apple's server (off site), TimeCapsule and CCC.

I have always assumed that Apple would make backups of all iDisks for their own use. Will they recover the data for you if necessary?

Like you , I have multiple backups. I use TM/TC for local backups... and I also subscribe to an off-site cloud backup service. I have used both Mozy and Crashplan... and I am satisfied with both.

When I look in my sparsebundle in user>library>filesync, I do not see anything that resembles my files. I use "show package contents" to take a peek.

/Jim

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I think that the folders in my local copy of idisk that have little black arrows in the bottom left hand corner are aliases? What is the purpose of these and where are the originals? Why are some folders in idisk aliases and some not? :confused::)

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
I think that the folders in my local copy of idisk that have little black arrows in the bottom left hand corner are aliases? What is the purpose of these and where are the originals? Why are some folders in idisk aliases and some not? :confused::)

On your local iDisk, the alias folders: Backups, Groups, Library, Software, and Web are for Apple's use in order to work with your local iDisk. It would be best if you resisted the urge to open, move or delete these folders...

To see these folder's and their contents you need to login to: me.com on the web in your browser, you will need your MobileMe username and password... There you will see your online version of your iDisk (as well as your calendar, address book, photo gallery etc.) that you can access from any computer anywhere on the web.

For instance - Your "Web folder" on me.com (alias web folder on your local iDisk) is where your photo gallery albums are kept. You can upload photos & movies for all to see here. You can also do this from iPhoto then publish to MobileMe. Here is mine of my new granddaughter: http://gallery.me.com/chrisdebjones

The Web folder (on me.com) is also where your iWeb websites are published to and stored when you create them...

There is more that you can do with MobileMe including things like finding a lost iPhone if you have one...

You can download instructional podcast on iTunes that explains a lot of this... It is called "Find out how - MobileMe" (or you can view them at apple.com...

It is confusing at first. Once you grasp it, it is pretty cool.

I hope this helps :)

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
In Snow Leopard, look under ~/Library/FileSync
Open the folder (ie. AA32AA11) with various numbers and letters.
You'll find your iDisk sparse bundle in this folder. It is backed up by Time Machine.

If you open this file on its own, or copy it to another computer, it will open just like your iDisk with all your offline content.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
In Snow Leopard, look under ~/Library/FileSync
Open the folder (ie. AA32AA11) with various numbers and letters.
You'll find your iDisk sparse bundle in this folder. It is backed up by Time Machine.

If you open this file on its own, or copy it to another computer, it will open just like your iDisk with all your offline content.

How do you open this folder? If I "view package contents" of my sparebundle... I see a folder called "bands" that has files that look like giberish. I cannot see my folder structure in there.

/Jim

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
I just tried it right now without a problem... If you open the .sparsebundle file (ie. username_iDisk.sparsebundle) in the finder, it will open all of your files directly from your iDisk.

What version of OSX are you running?

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
If I wanted to back up my photos that are in iphoto to idisk, how would i do this? Presumably I would have to move the file containing the photos into the local idisk so that they would sync to the cloud? Would this then create a problem with iphoto knowing where to look to display the photos?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I just tried it right now without a problem... If you open the .sparsebundle file (ie. username_iDisk.sparsebundle) in the finder, it will open all of your files directly from your iDisk.

What version of OSX are you running?

I am running SN 10.6.2

If I right click on the my mobile me "cloud icon" on my desktop, and perform a "get info" operation... it definitely points to that sparsebundle. However, if I "show package contents" in finder... I do not see my file system. Instead I see a folder called "bands" with a 1 to 3 digit hexidecimal number as the name.

/Jim

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
If I wanted to back up my photos that are in iphoto to idisk, how would i do this? Presumably I would have to move the file containing the photos into the local idisk so that they would sync to the cloud? Would this then create a problem with iphoto knowing where to look to display the photos?

Use Time Machine, or Backup (depending on how big your library is).

iPhoto will open a library from almost any folder but I would highly recommend against putting your whole library in the iDisk.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
I am running SN 10.6.2

If I right click on the my mobile me "cloud icon" on my desktop, and perform a "get info" operation... it definitely points to that sparsebundle. However, if I "show package contents" in finder... I do not see my file system. Instead I see a folder called "bands" with a 1 to 3 digit hexidecimal number as the name.

/Jim

Try this.

Visit ~/Library/FileSync and open the folder that contains it. Copy the .sparsebundle to your desktop or onto another HDD, then double-click it. It will open as your iDisk.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
My photo library is about 9gb. I think that what I will do is get another external hard drive for time machine to back up to aswell as time capsule that way I will have 3 copies

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
My photo library is about 9gb. I think that what I will do is get another external hard drive for time machine to back up to aswell as time capsule that way I will have 3 copies

Good method (and thinking) for easy and automatic backups. The truth is, you are not backed up until you have at least - three copies.

You might even look into a backup solution other then (but along side of) TimeMachine that creates a "bootable backup" like SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner (free) in case your Mac gets stolen, lost or breaks :(

This has happened to me twice, a hard drive failed on one of my desktops and a laptop was stolen at an airport. SuperDuper saved me both times fast and easy.

You would just buy another Mac - bummer (or hard drive) and boot right back to where you left off... (TimeMachine can also do this in a sort of a clunky way :) If you go this route you would want to buy an external drive that is big enough to partition and let TimeMachine live on half and say SuperDuper (or free CCC) live on the other...

If your Mac, TimeCapsule and ext drive are all in the same place. I would like to see you make one of your three copies / backups be off-site in case of a fire, flood etc.

iDisk is a poor choice for off-site backup due to file sizes and speed etc. It is OK for small stuff though.

There are many off-site backup solutions. Backblaze, Carbonite etc. at around $5 a month.

With three backups (one off-site) your stuff is safe in almost any possible point of failure.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Try this.

Visit ~/Library/FileSync and open the folder that contains it. Copy the .sparsebundle to your desktop or onto another HDD, then double-click it. It will open as your iDisk.

Thank you. That worked perfectly.

What is it about some systems that will show the file system inside of the sparsebundle... and other systems that seem to encode the information into "bands"?

In any case... this is confidence inspiring to know that in fact all of the information is in that bundle... and being backed up via Time Machine and also by my offsite backup software (Crashplan).

/Jim

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Good method (and thinking) for easy and automatic backups. The truth is, you are not backed up until you have at least - three copies.

You might even look into a backup solution other then (but along side of) TimeMachine that creates a "bootable backup" like SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner (free) in case your Mac gets stolen, lost or breaks :(

This has happened to me twice, a hard drive failed on one of my desktops and a laptop was stolen at an airport. SuperDuper saved me both times fast and easy.

You would just buy another Mac - bummer (or hard drive) and boot right back to where you left off... (TimeMachine can also do this in a sort of a clunky way :) If you go this route you would want to buy an external drive that is big enough to partition and let TimeMachine live on half and say SuperDuper (or free CCC) live on the other...

If your Mac, TimeCapsule and ext drive are all in the same place. I would like to see you make one of your three copies / backups be off-site in case of a fire, flood etc.

iDisk is a poor choice for off-site backup due to file sizes and speed etc. It is OK for small stuff though.

There are many off-site backup solutions. Backblaze, Carbonite etc. at around $5 a month.

With three backups (one off-site) your stuff is safe in almost any possible point of failure.

Good advice overall. The only thing that I would emphasize stronger is that the offsite backup is more important than a 2nd local backup. I have used Mozy for a long time and I think they are great. I recently moved to Crashplan based on the excellent reviews that I have seen. The one very significant advantage that I have seen is true versioning... along with the option to never remove deleted files from the backup set. Mozy keeps version for 30 days... but I think that unlimited versioning is much stronger... especially in the case of the user performing an unintentional deletion of seldom accessed, but yet important data (ex: older pictures).

/Jim

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Thank you. That worked perfectly.

What is it about some systems that will show the file system inside of the sparsebundle... and other systems that seem to encode the information into "bands"?

In any case... this is confidence inspiring to know that in fact all of the information is in that bundle... and being backed up via Time Machine and also by my offsite backup software (Crashplan).

/Jim

Glad to hear it, enjoy your iDisk. :)

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you for your advice, I will look into ccc.

Can I access the back up (that is made by time machine onto time capsule or another external hard drive) via a pc.

I am thinking that if my mac is stolen or is broken then the quickest way to access my files while being fixed or sorting out buying a new one would be via a pc.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.