Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2018
I have to make up my mind in 2 days, my 2009 MacBook pro finally broke down and I need a new computer.

Thinking about buying a Mac Mini with 32 ram, the best processor and 512 or 1tb SSD. I would use Logic, use it to play music live, and otherwise just browse the web and watch video. I just want this processor to last for many years using Logic for mostly audio recording. But I don't know much about processors vs. my needs.

Portability is important, that's why the Mini stands out to me. I don't like the current MacBook Pro. I need something that's easier to carry around than an iMac. In many situations, I would only have to carry the Mini itself with me when recording at other locations. Also, the idea of using an iPad Pro as a screen for the Mini is very interesting to me.

The modest GPU in the mini doesn't seem like a problem for my needs. But this is where I need help. No video or photo editing on the horizon. But I might want to buy the screen that Apple is going to release 2019, or some other high end screen. Will the Mac Mini be able to handle these do you think? Buying the Mini seems like a good way to keep my options open when it comes to screens. Worst case scenario I'll buy a eGPU, but I really want to avoid this.

The thing that bugs me is not knowing how the 2019 Mac Pro will look like. Am I right in assuming that the Mac Pro will be more expensive, and targeted more at video/graphics creators or audio pro's who need the very best? I don't need a pro machine, honestly. But I like the idea of being to upgrade the Mac Pro, thinking that it might last twice as long as a Mac Mini? Also, the 2019 Mac Pro most likely will be larger than the mini right?

The only alternative I can think of would be a Macbook Pro 2015. I like that model, but I'm afraid that the processor and 16 ram will not last for many years. I would rather pay more for the Mini and get more years out of it, since the price difference between the Mini and the MBP2015 is about 600 dollars where I live.

Very grateful for any input. I want to feel good about my decision on Thursday, it's most likely going to be a Mac Mini.

Rodney Dangerfield

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
Just about to receive my 2018 Mac Mini order with 32 GB RAM, i7 CPU and 1 TB SSD to upgrade my 2011 Mac Mini (which will be placed underneath and connected to my TV). Fortunately, it continues to work beautifully even after 8 years!...No doubt the 2019 Mac Pro (aka. trash can) will be more expensive since it will be more targeted at video/photo professionals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.