Is the Mac Pro likely to be updated before the 31st October?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danielbriggs, Oct 17, 2008.

1. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

The title says it all really; is the mac pro likely to be updated before the 31st October?
    According to the Buyer's guide it states: "Don't Buy - Updates Soon". I know this is done on averages from past updates, but I just wanted to check with you all in case I'd missed something, and a new shiny, totally redesigned one was out next week. :rolleyes:
    I could cope with a minor revision, but I'd be a bit miffed if it were a major revision.

The reason for hopefully getting either a Mac Pro or MBP before the 31st is because that's the last day of the £95 iPod Student rebate, and I'd like to update both my iPod and Mac.
    I'm still 50/50 on whether to get the Mac Pro or a MBP - I'm just assessing the situation first.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

3. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, Thanks.
    I don't think I can wait until January!
    I know this is a REALLY open question, but does anyone know what sort of things are likely to be changed. Specifically any new Intel Processors on the horizon?
    (I really don't mean for this to go off on a wild tangent of what everyone wants...)
    Edit: The reason I ask is that I'm updating my setup and would like it to last for 3-4 years throwing some heavy 3D+Computational CAD at it...

Thanks,
    Dan

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The processors will be Nehalem which are 20-40% faster than the current ones at the same clock speed.

5. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers umbongo. I'll strike while the iron is hot, and pick one up sooner rather than later. :D
    I know I could wait and wait, as the next model is always going to be slightly faster!

Dan