Is the MacBook a piece of junk?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by doctor pangloss, Aug 17, 2008.

1. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

The hard drive failed, and was duly replaced under warranty.
    Now I just noticed the top edge of the plastic that surrounds the keyboard is coming apart.:eek:

Now this machine is lightly used by a mature responsible guy who takes care of things.
    If the machine travels it has it's own special padded bag.
    I have an IBook and a PowerBook and this MacBook really is a sad piece of junk.
    it's still under warranty I'll see what they say. This is becoming a PITA. I wish I'd bought a Lenovo now.:mad:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm sorry, is this just a rant/vent
    Or are you looking for help somewhere in there?

I'm serious...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

The early macbooks had a defect in the top case that apple should replace for free whether you have warranty or not. As far as HD failing, that happens sometimes, not apple's fault at all.

I have a blackbook that has worked fine for me since the day I got it.

4. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

No I doubt anyone here could help I still have the warranty. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen the plastic of the MacBook disintegrate.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you're here for advice... send it in for an AppleCare check up.

What else do you want us to say?

6. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

I've had a white MacBook for about 2 years. It did have a problem with the battery twice and the display once. AppleCare fixed them all at no charge.

I wouldn't call it a piece of junk, but, some of them do have issues. If it's still under warranty, ask to have it fixed or replaced with a new one if you recently bought it.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think people had issues with the plastic with earlier models of the macbook, but i haven't really heard or seen anything lately. my refurb 2.2 macbook is still chugging along great.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can do a search with MRoogle to see if others have posted an issue (they have, often)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

This isn't an early MacBook, purchased last September. But it's clearly some sort of defect or damage done by the technician who took the machine apart to replace the drive.

10. svndmvn Guest

was the hard drive apple branded? I don't think Apple uses the lousiest hard drives or SSDs for either notebook or iPod/iPhone
    while for the top case, it depends on a lot of things, it is plastic in the end, not the best material ever, you can get it replaced and it doesn't cost a lot, it is also possible that it got "harmed" while replacing the hard drive, who knows

11. docc macrumors 6502

Its funny when people ask such a question; especially pertaining to Apple's most successful notebook till date. Sheer numbers alone is an obvious answer and yet the OP care's to ask such an uninformed question.

I understand that he/she is upset over the troubles they are having with their device and i do sympathize with them, but asking such questions is of no use to anyone.

I do feel for you and wish you luck with your future purchases.

12. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

I figured the wording of my OP would pull a stereotypical Mac sycophant or two out of the woodwork.
    I'm a longtime Mac user 5+ years. I think this macbook is substandard to the quality I got from the IBook and the PowerBook. Both of those were tiptop
    If posting this rant keeps someone from buying a MacBook will help the future hapless mac user who had the idea a Mac stood for quality.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Am I missing something? Its under warranty, and you say the technician damaged it while repairing the drive. How does that translate to piece of junk.

BTW the Lenovo is likely to have the same brand and model of hard drive. All hard drives will fail, some sooner, some later.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are quite a few satisfied MB owners who would disagree with you

Maybe you got a bad MB, I don't know, but it doesn't translate to ALL MBs or Macs in general

My MBP is excellent in quality and performance

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

Seems to break rather easily, which translates to JUNK!:mad:

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Have you not replaced a Macbook drive before? There's really no disassembling, you just remove the battery and pop out a few screws. I doubt the technician did anything that would cause damage to the top case when they replaced the hard disk.

17. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

I'll take it in today.
    I reckon I'll cool off later.
    Thanks all for letting me vent.:rolleyes:

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And oddly enough there are many, many others who do not have this experience

Strange isn't it?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

19. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it is strange, especially seeing how my two other mac laptops have been fine and are top quality.
    Thought he very first PowerBook they sent me was defective and required a complete replacement. The replacement is still working fine except for the cd drive/burner becoming balky.
    Anyway this one is still under warranty so it's very likely they will make it right.

20. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Apple will take care of it, don't worry.

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The post you referred to hardly sounds like a "Mac sycophant," though your thread title and following comments do smack of trolling.

Five years hardly qualifies as "longtime", as if that was license to make provocative comments in the first place. What commentary privilege do I get as a thirty-year Apple user? :rolleyes:

Re your comments as to "junk," mine travels weekly to places all over the country, daily at client sites and hotel rooms, in & out of the bag, through the X-ray and across the rollers, and in general abused as much as any business laptop. It's outlasted five newer Dells (and gets more travel) that my coworkers have needed replacements for. So as useless as my anecdotal experience is to you, so is yours to the rest of us.

How about this: state the nature of your problems, ask for advice, and you'll get tons of good help (which you already received). Searching for related problems is entirely optional. Leading with your chin is guaranteed to get the discussion off-track in a heartbeat.

As you have already noted, it's under warranty, and Apple will make good. Take a breath, have an adult beverage, and let us know how things turn out. :)

22. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

hopefully the new macbook - rumored to be released this september, will have the aluminum casing (strong chance of this) and a backlit keyboard - these 2 things would make it sooo much better - maybe, we will also upgrade to the GMA X4500 instead of the X3100 from intel. (or maybe they will employ ATI Graphics as an integrated chipset):D

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You rock as always JNB

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

24. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

*bows* Always try to please my faithful readers... :p

25. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

If you were sitting behind a fairly new and fairly expensive laptop that has the plastic surrounding the keyboard pealing away the word JUNK would seem appropriate to you as well.

The nature of my problem is the outrage I'm experiencing having been sold a piece of JUNK
    I haven't even sorted the machine out since the huge inconvenience of the hardrive replacement. Now It has to go back because the plastic used is obscene JUNK. Frankly I'm steamed and I'm sure you'd be as well.:mad:
    yea I could use a couple of stiff drinks. Too bad my liver doesn't agree.:rolleyes:

Bad Liver and now my apple heart is broken.