Is the Macbook Air 11 Inch Too Light?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by million7, Jul 3, 2012.

1. million7 macrumors regular

Just wondering what you guys think, is the Macbook Air 11 Inch too light? I know for me it sorta borderlines from just the perfect weight to almost too light.

2. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Perfect IMO, especially since the new magsafe 2 pulls out fine (from experience). It's so light-weight that I can use it just about anywhere, it's incredibly convenient and powerful for it's size, it will do 99% of what I throw at it.

3. jojoba macrumors 68000

4. million7 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly, it's not that big of a problem. But still would be nice to open it with one hand.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

"Apparently", according to who? I'm pretty sure there were more decisive factors in not including an edge-edge glass display, i.e. the panel cracking every time you were to lift the lid.

6. rookpsu macrumors member

The one-handed lid open trick doesn't bother me. One subtle thing I miss is the heavier, more robust feel of the MacBook Pro keyboard. The action and throw of the keys is firmer (at least it was on the 2010 models). I'm a pretty heavy pounder so if they were to add a few grams to the overall MBA curb weight in order to restore that tactile feel, I wouldn't be disappointed.

7. dona83 macrumors regular

Did someone seriously ask this question? :) Although higher density batteries would be nice.

8. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I am able to open mine without holding the base (nothing plugged in). The base does lift a little until a certain point on the back of the base hits the surface and it opens up nicely.

9. firewood macrumors 604

Some have suggested that a computer between 1 kg and 2 lbs is the ideal weight, making the MBA 11 a bit too heavy.

It's probably that heavy to provide semi-decent battery life.

10. million7 thread starter macrumors regular

Someone had to ask :)

11. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Just give it some time, the hinge will loosen a bit.

12. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I have the 11" Air and it's a little annoying when typing in my lap because just normal typing moves the computer around quite a bit. But it's better than carrying around a heavy computer.

13. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

I originally ordered a 13" 2012 air and switched to the 11" and am so glad I did, it is absolutely perfect! Battery life was my only point holding me back but I find it a non issue so far, not to mention I'm usually not too far from an outlet at some point in the day to charge up if needed

14. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

15. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Let's see;

1. The LG screen is crap.
    2. The 512 ssd is too expensive.
    3. The I7 gets too hot.
    4. The I7 eats too much power.
    5. People are scared of 4 Meg's

The last one was my favorite for bizarre, 'I have to find a problem to show how deep my thinking is.' faux issue.

This one is now my favorite, the MBA11 is too light.

16. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

You could glue some lead to the bottom if not happy with the lightness of it :p

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe someone will make one of the 3-inch thicker extended batteries you can snap onto the bottom of the MacBook Air. :p

Like the extended battery that makes my 3 lb ultraportable Thinkpad into a 5 lb not-so-ultra-anymore-portable.

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You should pop into your local tyre shop and ask them for some of those lead weights they use to balance wheels. Stick some on and voila, you'll have the weighty feel that you're looking for. You can even choose which weight to go with for a particular day depending on your mood.

----------

Damn. I should have read the whole thread first.

19. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

My work Dell has that. If I ever need to turn it into a weapon, that extended battery will make a great handle. :D