Is the macbook air primary or secondary laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dj.paterson, Jun 8, 2008.

1. dj.paterson macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I was wondering whether most of you guys had an apple desktop and used the macbook air for travelling to work/school etc.

Or do you use the macbook air as your primary machine.

I am currently very interested in getting the macbook air and iMac solution. Have a nice powerfull iMac at home for all the my power hungry tasks, and use the light macbook air for travelling to school in my case.

For you guys who use the macbook air as a secondary machine, what is your primary machine? iMac which model? Mac Pro?

2. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

my macbook air is my primary computer. I don't really do intensive stuffs. I don't even have a superdrive but I might have to buy it later when I save up enough money:)

3. p.luik macrumors regular

Did you really want an iMac for "power hungry tasks"?
    Save the money from the MBA, get a MB and a MP.

4. Malcster macrumors 6502

Primary, its now my only computer. no problems so far.

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The MacBook Air is a secondary computer for me; I have others for the heavier lifting. However, that said, I am surprised at how much more often I use the MBA than I'd thought I would -- it is just a great little machine and I use it a lot around home as well as when traveling.

6. dudup macrumors regular

dudup

Currently the MBA is my only machine for about 3 or 4 months. No problems at all, I'm not that intensive user, but I do use it a lot.

I'm waiting for a 24" iMac to come this month, but honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do with it. Depending on the upcoming MacBook Pros, I may exchange it with a 17" MacBook Pro, but, again, I don't know the reason why.

Other thought that may interest you: I don't see any upgrades coming that would make me swap my current MBA to another. I don't feel I need anything more beside more hard disk space.

7. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Primary.... I use it for school, travel for work, and as a media/internet device...

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Bought it thinking it'd be a secondary for travel and like many others who've already posted, it's morphed into being my main/primary machine.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

10. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Secondary, I have an iMac as well. I personally don't feel it has enough space to really be a primary computer, but if you don't need much, then go for it, because it is a great machine otherwise...unless you are into extensive video or 3-D processing.

11. jonswan macrumors regular

I have an iMac at home for browsing, watching DVDs, Lightroom, YouTube etc, and the MBA for travel, outside the house, on the bed (on a bread board) for browsing/email/iWork 08 stuff. I have the MBA superdrive but haven't used it since installing as I remote disk with the iMac. In my opinion, it is a truly perfect combination.

12. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Secondary. I have a MBP that I use for video editing and Aperture. But the MBA is good enough to be a stand alone notebook for someone that uses it for web and iLife. I really enjoy using it while I am on the couch and around the rest of the house.

13. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

My air is now my primary laptop. I am going to add a Mac Pro or iMac for gaming, CS 3 and Traktor Scratch.

14. aey619 macrumors newbie

its my secondary. i have an iMac so the MBA is mainly for school and traveling, but i still use it to browse when i am in bed even though the the iMac is just 4 feet away from me. :)

15. wolfie macrumors regular

my air is my primary computer, i use it to chat, surf the net, email store itunes and photos and every now and then watch videos.

perfect machine for me

16. Alkiera macrumors regular

My MBA is a secondary machine, primary is a WinXP desktop for gaming purposes. At least, in order of purchase. I use them pretty equally time-wise.

I've got a copy of WinXP for my Air coming, just need to pick it up. Will prolly use a combo of bootcamp and parallels, in part so I can play EVNova on my Air... stupid OSX drivers don't support 16bit color on the new macbooks/MBAs. I'll probably see what other games will run under XP on it, but I'm not expecting much; I'm guessing most 3d stuff will make it quite toasty. Besides, that's what I have the desktop for.

17. aussieinrome macrumors regular

aussieinrome

My primary laptop is the MacBook Air and my secondary is the Vaio UX.

18. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Macbook Air

Seriously, if you're planning on buying the iMac/MacBook Air combo, just get a 15" MBP and an external monitor. While the Air is a cool machine, it doesn't have the power to do a lot of heavy lifting. The MBP is not THAT heavy. Mine gets used for EVERYTHING. The air is somewhat limited, with the lack of ports, etc. Just my 2 cents.

19. impact1290 macrumors newbie

Would the Macbook Air be ideal for me if I get the external superdrive, I'd use it for email, web, email, bootcamp, ilife, handbrake, active sync on the windows side, and ipod managing.

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Secondary for me. My main rig is a 17-inch iMac with an additional 20-inch display.

21. aussieinrome macrumors regular

aussieinrome

I didn't know the iMac came in a laptop range?

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Older, G5 and Core Duo had 17" iMacs.

23. calculus Guest

calculus

I tend to use the bus for travelling to work...

24. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

MBA is my primary computer. I use it for web, mail, iLife, and coding.

Of course, I have network-attached storage (via AirPort Extreme) to serve as my primary media repository.