Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I know for the rMBP and MBA, the SSD is still removeable, but for this MacBook, does it look like it's actually soldered onto the logic board, just like an iPad?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I know for the rMBP and MBA, the SSD is still removeable, but for this MacBook, does it look like it's actually soldered onto the logic board, just like an iPad?

Yup. So you're stuck with what you buy.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Yup. So you're stuck with what you buy.

I'm fine with that. If the SSD was upgradable the computer would be bigger. I like all the steps they took to minimize the size and weight (except for maybe only having one port for all).

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm fine with that. If the SSD was upgradable the computer would be bigger. I like all the steps they took to minimize the size and weight (except for maybe only having one port for all).

Yeah, and with Apple offering PCI-E SSDs in all their laptops now...changing it out yourself is kind of pointless. I remember back in the first few iterations of the Air where it made sense to swap out the SSD for a bigger and/or faster one than what Apple offered. Not anymore.

I'm getting 512GB anyway. But it will cause some people to think about which one you get. Because if you go 256 and want to upgrade later...you can't. It's cheaper to just buy the one you want from Apple upfront anyways.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
There seems to be a subset of people who buy Apple PCI-e SSDs used (eBay, other places) and swap drives to get a bigger drive. The prices usually look really high to me. That would be the only way to potentially get a 1TB SSD into this - if it had a removable connector.

By the way, are you all sure that it's soldered? I don't remember reading that anywhere. That's a question, not a challenge.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
There seems to be a subset of people who buy Apple PCI-e SSDs used (eBay, other places) and swap drives to get a bigger drive. The prices usually look really high to me. That would be the only way to potentially get a 1TB SSD into this - if it had a removable connector.

By the way, are you all sure that it's soldered? I don't remember reading that anywhere. That's a question, not a challenge.

According to Ars Technica, it is. I'd be hugely surprised if it isn't.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011

We won't know for sure until a teardown guide appears on iFixIt or elsewhere, but it's more likely to be soldered than not - both because the enclosure is super thin (soldered parts require slightly less space) and due to Apple's latest trend of soldering everything/killing upgradability everywhere.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Probably is soldered. Its almost cheaper to pay to store stuff online than carry everything with you. Did not AMAZON just unveil an unlimited service for $60? I have all my music and movies on a server at home. I access them with plex whenever I need them away from home.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
"Its almost cheaper to pay to store stuff online than carry everything with you."

I've used 'Dropbox' in the past and now use 'iCloud drive.' The one thing people don't realize is both of these "cloud" services actually store the data both on the device and the cloud. The reasoning behind this is so the data can be used on more than one device anywhere the internet is accessible and there is always a backup of the data.

Pure cloud drives, like Google Chrome, don't make as much sense if a person does not have access to the internet. No Net, no data.

BTW, I would bet money the drive is soldered and not removable.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Even if it wasn't soldered, there's no SSDs being sold for the current rMBPs anyways (other then ebay). For what ever reason no one can or is willing to sell SSD upgrades for the rMBPs/MBAs

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Even if it wasn't soldered, there's no SSDs being sold for the current rMBPs anyways (other then ebay). For what ever reason no one can or is willing to sell SSD upgrades for the rMBPs/MBAs

I wonder why that is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.