Is the MacBook (late 2008) ok?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DannyBres, Oct 24, 2008.

?

Is the MacBook screen acceptable?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    90.7%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

I have one on order and I am a bit worried about the screen? So i thought id start this to find out what all the owners think. I would like to know.....

Do you thing the MacBook screen is "crap" and unacceptable?

2. Greystorm macrumors member

A lot of people seem to be comparing the Macbook screen to the Macbook Pro and being disappointed that the Macbook is not nearly as good.

When you compare it to the previous Macbook I think it's been improved. The viewing angles aren't great but neither were they on the machine it replaced.

I'd say the blacks leave a bit to be desired but at the right angle it's got pretty decent colours and looks quite vibrant. I was concerned before I got mine but after using it a couple of days I'm quite happy with it.

3. DannyBres thread starter macrumors 65816

DannyBres

thanks im happy with my WhiteBook screen so hoprfully ill be happy with my new one

(typing in the dark is so jard without a backlight.......not long to go;))

4. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

I am on the 2.4 right now. The glare is there, and the best thing for you to do is to see in the store.

However, the human eye can't focus on multiple things, and if you focus on the actual OS, the glare kind of "disappears" from your vision.

The viewing angles are pretty good horizontally, but vertically even a slight off-angle misrepresents colors.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

As you can see, the OP has the plastic MacBook so I'm sure he got used to glossy screen...

6. Halon X macrumors regular

My personal opinion:

- The screen is a big improvement over the old Macbook (I see you own one)
    - I replaced a first generation MBP with this MB and like the screen better.
    - If you are a typical/average/normal/non-pro user, you'll be more than happy with it!

7. Roller macrumors 68020

I've had one for almost a week and am very happy with it. The screen is sensitive to vertical viewing angle, but that's easily taken care of by adjusting the angle. And I was concerned about the glare after seeing the MB and MBP in the Apple Store. But that was with bright lights on the wall behind my back. In practice, it hasn't been a problem for me.

I accept the fact that, for some people or applications, the display isn't sufficient. But I've heard some claims that the MB is a "toy" or "useless" because of this (and because of the lack of FW.) To me, that smacks of the dismissive comments that Windows users used to make about Macs.

So relax and enjoy your new computer when it arrives.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

No one can give you a right or wrong answer because it depends on what you personally classify as good/bad and what you would compare it to. My desktop monitors screen makes the old and new Macbook screen look like crap. If you compare it to the Air or Pro it is crap also (go to the store and compare all 3 side by side--huge difference) For what I do though the Macbook screen on my black Macbook is perfectly fine for me. Yes Apple should of done better on the older and newer ones. They haven't done well at all in this regard compared to their competition.

9. DannyBres thread starter macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Thanks dude :D

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm a photo retoucher by trade. I'm paid to be picky. The MB screen looks fine to me. Is it perfect? No. There is no such thing.

11. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

screen is fine as long as there are no dead pixels. I have no problem with anything else about the screen.