Is the MacBook more durable than the MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by urbanskywalker, Jun 24, 2008.

1. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

Is the MacBook more durable than the MacBook Pro, or is it the other way around? I'm getting ready to buy a new laptop for my teaching job this fall and durability is a factor. I will be teaching graphics.

2. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

graphics=Macbook pro. probably more durable too

3. kabunaru Guest

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

???

You only need the Macbook Pro if you are doing any serious 3D rendering, and I'm assuming by Graphics, that this won't be the case.

5. urbanskywalker thread starter macrumors 6502

I will be teaching CS3, imovie/Final cut Express, Corel Draw and some other basic image apps. The students are on emacs, so it's not about having the fastest. I will use the laptop to show keynote presentations and demo and apps. Since I work in a classroom, and I will bring the laptop to school five days a week, the durability is a key factor. I have an old ibook and that thing is a tank, so I want a laptop that holds up under use.

6. kabunaru Guest

Get the MacBook then. :)

Edit: Check this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=389514&highlight=Plastic+is+more+durable+than+aluminum

7. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

if u can afford it u should get the MBP it may scratch and or ding but if will run photo shop allot quicker

8. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Scratch hell...it bends pretty easy. I've lost count of the number of photos I've seen in these forums of mangled MBPs. Of the pics that show damage of the Macbooks, I'd say 75% of them show superficial damage. A bent MBP frame does not equal superficial, IMO. The unit may be functional but the damage is usually pretty nasty-looking (and will definitely keep you from a Genius Bar repair). I think he doesn't want a notebook that's all bent to hell. As someone else in this thread said, plastic is probably more durable than aluminum between the two products.

9. Benjvogt macrumors newbie

Benjvogt

More durable= macbook pro. But if your only using the cs3 set and such, I'd get the macbook. I boguht one myself a year ago and I can easily run multiple cs3 programs without problem. Thats not to say that my mac won't break a sweat, the fans starts to whir up when the CPU gets hot but other than that I havn't had any serious problems. But then again...the Macbook pro has a higher resolution and larger screen.

10. kabunaru Guest

More durable= MacBook. :p

11. Garemz macrumors regular

I have both the macbook and the macbook pro, for durability Hands down the Macbook!!

If you get the newest 2.4 ghz version it will be fast enough to run what you need.

Cheers
    Gary

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep...

The MacBook tends to survive stuff that mangles the MacBook Pro.

Scratches, scuffs, etc. easy ... but looking older quicker might beat the repair bill of the MBP.

Something that leaves a scuff on the MacBook might void your warranty on the MBP.

There are those threads about Apple refusing to cover a MBP because of a ding.

13. Vster macrumors 6502

Agreed. I have a MBP and my wife has a MB and I feel like I have to treat the MBP with kid gloves to prevent damage. I just got another random scratch/nick thing in the MBP that I have no idea where it came from.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

LOL @ the idea of the MBP being more durable than the MB. A one-inch drop onto concrete will scratch an MB. The same drop will not only scratch, but dent an MBP.

15. Benjvogt macrumors newbie

Benjvogt

16. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I've owned both... have the Black Macbook now...

I put the hard plastic clear Speck case on both laptops from day one... I can't handle scratches or dings. The case works great and doesn't weigh them down at all. My first reaction to your question was the MBP would be more durable, then after reading the posts I remembered how my MBP kind of bent and one corner would always open slightly. Also, opening and closing it was a bit annoying compared to how the Macbook just opens and closes without any latch. Also, I can feel a definite difference when I carry the Macbook... I can feel it's almost ½ pound lighter. I thought I'd notice the screen being smaller, but I don't.

So, I think I agree with a lot of the other posts... If the specs of the Macbook will do your work as everyone says it will, then get the Macbook. I would suggest you do what I did and put the extra money in RAM. Put the protective case on it too. Also, when talking about durability, I'd go with the Black so you don't have to worry about the white discoloring.

Let us know what you decide and what you think of your purchase after you get it. Good luck and have fun!!

17. kabunaru Guest

I don't think the white one discolours anymore.

18. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Good to know...

Glad to hear that. I'd read other posts about discoloring but I've had no experience with it.

19. unixfool macrumors 6502a

They still discolor, but they're not as bad as before. Visit an Apple store and you'll see plenty of discolored latest rev white Macbooks.

20. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Never noticed...

Just glad I got the Black Book and don't need to worry about it. If mine discolored I'd be sick.

As I said earlier, I'm thrilled with my Black Macbook and I don't miss my MBP, but on the question of durability... has anyone experienced cracking on the plastic Macbook cases? Mine is only one month old and perfect... hoping and counting on it staying that way.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

macbooks are definitely more durable. and if you're students will be using eMacs, it'll be plenty faster than their machines. so no worries about having a slow machine. especially if its just basics.

22. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I completely disagree with the general sentiment here. Having owned both (it sounds like most of you haven't) I can say without a doubt that the Macbook Pro is more durable. I've had macbooks crack, the plastic looks like you comb it with razorwire after a month and they're so flimsy! The macbook pro has a tendency to dent but when it comes to crunchtime, its not going to have its palmrest crack off.

23. kabunaru Guest

Have you read this thread:?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=389514&highlight=Plastic+is+more+durable+than+aluminum

Aluminium is also very reactive to Mercury.
    Aluminium is a very reactive metal. So be careful where you go with your MacBook Pro. ;)

24. urbanskywalker thread starter macrumors 6502

Right now I'm leaning towards the black MacBook, because I also have an imac at home. The larger screen of the pro version is nice, but I will teach with a digital projector, so that mitigates that.

I'm heading to the US for a vacation in a couple of weeks, so I may buy the computer at an Apple store instead of ordering online. I'm assuming the warranty is international if I buy in the US and bring back to Canada.

I appreciate all the input.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I love my Black MacBook. Get one- you'll be glad you did.