Is the MacBook Pro Apples greatest design achievement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dba415, Mar 23, 2014.

1. dba415 macrumors 6502

The longevity of its current design is quite an amazing feat. It's been the same for 6 years and it still looks better than all other laptops IMO. The glass trackpad still has not been matched. Battery is still top notch.

I love using my MacBook Pro.

Apple has released many iPhones/iPads since then, but basically only MacBook Pro.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The retina MBPs actually have changed their design slightly.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Apple has had at least 4 different Macbook Pro designs since 2005. There's the Aluminum MBP that looked just like the PowerBook, then there's the Unibody MBP, Unibody MBP with internal battery, and then Retina Macbook Pro.

And no, IMO they're the worst designed products that Apple makes. They're increasingly non-upgradable, short on external ports, and look ugly. I can't stand the black border and glassy screen. Oh well, that's why I haven't purchased a Macbook Pro since 2007.

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

How it looks is your personal preference, by the way they're being used in movies and people love them you are in the minority. Not being able to upgrade is being something that's slowly being phased out, good or bad, it's true for most of their products.

What do you consider the best designed product they make? Just about everything you said applies to all their products. If you think the rMBPs are ugly I'd think you dislike the looks of all their products. Other Apple products have black borders and glossy screens and are often criticized for their lack of ports.

5. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

In purely visual terms, white polycarbonate iMacs are as good as it gets...

[​IMG]

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Quite right! Around 2004 was when they had the best designed products, IMO. The first gen iPods with tactile buttons and a wheel that spun was fantastic to use. Likewise, the G4 Cube and PowerBook were very nice machines, and unlike the slab of drab aluminum used today, those computers had lines and personality.

7. leman macrumors G3

I guess the design has always been and will stay a matter of individual preference :D Personally, I like the design of the Cube, but the PoweBook is a no-go for me. So far, the unibody designs is the best I have ever seen/used in computers.

8. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

OP said they hadn't changed in 6 years, so I think he's referring to the introduction of the Unibody design.

And he's right, the basic ID of Apple's notebooks hasn't changed since then. If you want to split hairs and call the "Unibody MBP" and the "Unibody MBP with internal battery" different things, then I think you're not taking his point.

Even the rMBPs and MBA's all share the same basid ID. Sure, whether you like it or not is all subjective, but he's right they they haven't changed their ID in the last 6 years.

----------

As for personal taste, I have got to disagree with most of you here. The white plastic 2004-2005 era ID looked good back then, but it looks so dated to me now. I don't think it's aged well. I quite like the aluminum chassis, and black bordered glass screens they have now.

9. egy195 macrumors regular

for a laptop absolutely no, if anything goes wrong with the current design tough luck, nothing you can do but send the machine for repair, i'm not comparing apple to microsoft here just the hardware but if my battery dies i can easily buy a new one, if in the future i need more ram i can easily add them my self, same thing with hdd if i want to put an ssd i can myself, you can't do that with the current design.

as for their best design i think the current retina ipad mini is the best, totally planing to get one :)

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

50 years from now, this will be the one that is remembered:

[​IMG]

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

All manufacturers have a laptop in there range that not upgradeable like the MBA and rmbp. It's just the way things are going.

12. egy195 macrumors regular

yes but they also have ones that you can do the things i mentioned too :D

13. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

When people complain about the products not being upgradable they seem to forget that most consumer electronic aren't.
    You can't upgrade your TV, DVD player, etc...

Barney

14. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

I'd say many of Apple's designs have stood the test of time extremely well.

The greatest one is probably the 2013 Mac Pro.

15. egy195 macrumors regular

yes i know that but the computer has always been upgradable like the tv has never been upgradable, maybe apple is trying to change the way we think about computers and in my case i'm not ready for that, just me :)

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, finally. This is one of my all time favourites.

On the laptop side, the unibody are very good, but not outstanding. I think I still have a small preference for the non-unibody aluminium.

In terms of progress, I think the rMBP is the future. Not so much happened from non-unibody to unibody - the case is somewhat different, but the overall form factor and weight didn't change. The retina is a big step forward in terms of size & weight, and very much challenges the existence of the Air.

17. 827538 macrumors 65816

Fair enough but that's your opinion and I, along with many others completely disagree.
    They don't decide to make their systems non-upgradable just to annoy people like you. They do it as a compromise for a smaller/slimmer form factor and more robust build quality. Plus I believe the SSD's (yes they are proprietary) and RAM are upgradable, CPU's and GPU's are almost always soldered on and the battery is replaceable by Apple. The display is fused but can be replaced as a whole unit. Fair compromises in my opinion for the best laptop in existence. It's so good it convinced me to jump ship to Apple and I'm extremely pleased with it.

18. 5to1, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

5to1 macrumors 6502

The difference is those other manufacturers have a wider product range allowing them to cover more bases. Ones requirements will generally dictate which approach one prefers.

I don't like to visit restaurants with large menus, trying to encompass every taste, as I'm often concerned they'll never perfect any of them. But equally it can be very disappointing when I find myself at restaurant with a small menu if I don't like the items on it, regardless of if they do those dishes to perfection :/

With their small product range they have to make a choice and I suspect they have made the right one. I'm pretty sure the "upgraders" are vastly out numbered by people like my Mrs who simply see it as a technologically (in terms of hardware) static product like our TV.

I don't think the vast majority of their users ever upgrade their machines (other then perhaps the HDD/SSD). I also doubt many would ever use more then one battery (as a road warrior for several years, I often purchased extra batteries, but forgot to take them with me or charge them, or found leaving the one I didn't use often fully charged caused it to fail more quickly). And yes paying Apple £109 to replace the sealed battery is probably double the price of OEM batteries for laptops with user replaceable ones. But in the grand scheme of things £50 extra every couple of years is not going to make someone paying a premium already flinch.

Apple definitely weren't the first to do this, I can recall Toshiba and Asus machines with Soldered RAM from a decade back. Where this approach falls down is when the SKU's aren't equipped with enough overhead to cover the useful life of the machine. If the RAM is sufficient to keep the machine ticking along nicely for 4 or 5 years, do most people really care?

Of course others may be right and Apple could be wrong. Perhaps they have taken a wrong turn and will fall flat on their face. They've done it before :) Perhaps MS will stop floundering or maybe Google, or some new entrant who they don't think could be a threat will knock them of their perch. But right now they're sitting pretty and I (along with many others) don't find the lack of upgradeability a major issue.

19. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I love the design of my 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro. In my opinion there isn't a portable computer on the market which looks better. I'll probably have this computer for at least another 5 years. Last MBP that can be upgraded. :(

20. egy195 macrumors regular

i really really envy those people like your Mrs who just want a laptop to work to get to youtube or check some websites, you're right in every point you've made and the thing about apple is they take chances whatever the outcome may be, i respect them for that, even if i'm not an apple user(yet).
    i remember owning a pc for maybe 8 years and replacing everything in it with shiny new parts but haven't done that for 4 years except a few months ago on my sister's computer, i'm slowly but surely going the same route as apple:)

21. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

The Unibody design with the black border screen was inspired by the original iPhone design.

Either two things can happen. Either a new category product will inspire a new design direction (like iWatch) or Apple has established this theme as the final design direction and it will never change again (or at least any time soon).

22. alec6542 macrumors regular

The unibody and retina MBP models are in my opinion one of the most beautiful notebook hardware designs ever. There's no doubt Jony Ive is a very talented hardware (and only hardware) designer.

23. bniu macrumors 6502a

If the 12" retina macbook comes out, I'm looking at going forward buying a basic retina macbook with maxed out ram and storage. For any heavy computer usage, I've got my custom built desktop PC around for that!

As great as Macs are, you just can't beat a custom built desktop that has everything you want, and with only five components, (CPU/MB/RAM/GPU/SSD), desktop PCs are actually quite simple to build these days.

24. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I can deal with those bits. It's getting the cooling (and power supply) right which put me off.

25. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

It's hardware, what do you expect!?

----------

The increased energy densities and newer materials together with OS improvements, increase the battery performance.