Is The MacBook Pro Enough Strong To Run Final Cut Studio And Logic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guydor4, Aug 16, 2008.

1. guydor4 macrumors member

Is The MacBook Pro Enough Strong To Run Final Cut Studio And Logic?

I want to buy a Mac and I don't know which one, mac pro or MacBook Pro.

Thanks!:)

2. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

Um...how is "it depends?"

You will benefit enormously in performance if you get a Mac Pro, but you won't be able to move it. If you really need something that's portable, pick the MBP. Simple as that.

If I were you though, I would definitely choose the Mac Pro. It will be truly lightning fast.

3. mynameisshawn macrumors member

Like Metuas said, it depends on your situation.
    Personally I am a student filmmaker in college, I couldn't afford to take two lower end computers with me, I need the mobility and power so I settled with a MBP and can't be any happier.
    It runs FCE (granted not Pro, but besides the extra programs i don't know the difference) without a hitch, though rendering with 32 gigs of RAM and two 3.2GHz quad cores may prove to be slightly faster ;)

In my old high school we had two old G4 towers running an older version of FCP, it worked fine but the lack of RAM and slower processor made rendering and exporting projects slow.

So to answer your question, yes it should be strong enough to work.

4. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

yeah if you have the full ram and processor it will be speedy even with a base model there is enough power there. if you need it to be quick and portable mbp if you want the space for loads more power go mac pro.

5. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

A lot of professionals take MBPs to shoots and use them as mobile workstations. Of course they also have Mac Pro setups in the office but yeah, MBPs work without a hitch. Just get a good FW or eSATA external HDD as your scratch disk and you'll be fine.

So yeah, the MBP is plenty strong. Figure out if you want portability or sheer power. If portability is any of your concerns, the MBP strikes a pretty nice balance between the two.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ditto that scratch disk part. You need to make sure you get a FW800 drive if you decide on a MBP.

7. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I run FCS and Logic Express on a MBP17. 2.4GHz, 4GB Ram. I replaced the internal drive with a 500GB drive that is only 5400rpm. I don't have any problems.

8. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

If you look at the system requirements, I think you'll find this is really a silly question.

Of course it can run it well.

The MacBook Pro runs over twice as fast as the fastest (consumer) computers you'd have found three or so years ago.. computers have come a long way in a relatively short time (even for computing years).

9. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I run FCP and AfterEffects on my MBP. If I can run AfterEffects on my comp, then FCP will work perfectly. Just make sure you get the MBP with 4GB of memory.

10. Nic7320 macrumors newbie

FCP on MacBookPro

Go see ProjectPedal.com.

He's doing it all with FCP on a MacBook Pro, including image stabilization.

Although, I did suggest using an extra fan when doing extended image manipulation and rendering. Nobody wants to cook their computer!

11. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

How about hard drive space? How much would, FCS plus all the other stuff I need this semester? ( Premiere + AfterEffects + Design Premium cs3 + Lightwave + Maya )

Im on the stock drive (160gb) and 4gb of ram.

How many TBs will I need? :eek:

12. Nic7320 macrumors newbie

External HDD

Get a Firewire external hard drive, at least 300 GigaBytes. Put your video project files on it, and your keep the Final Cut programs on your computer's HD. That will speed things up, since each drive has separate tasks and would be constantly shifting the head back and forth if they were on the same drive.
    This also makes it easy to move your project to another computer.

If you need back-up, check out Mozy on the internet. $5.00/mo.

13. macwall macrumors 6502

with a 7200 rpm hard drive and maxed out ram, yes

14. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Thanks for the info, time to get a shiny new hard drive, now can I install FCS on an external drive? will that slow it down in any way? I'm low on disk space.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

A friend of mine runs Logic on a Macbook Rev A. After coming from a PC, he thinks the Macbook is plenty fast.