Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falcon511

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2016
So let me start by saying, I have a PC gaming rig. It has a 4th gen core i7 and an Nvidia 970gtx with 16 gigs of ram and a 250 ssd. I also have a Corsair mechnical Keyboard and a razer mouse. I like it. Its fast and gets the job done for my work load which is really just editing websites and some Photoshop work. I also have a Surface pro 4 which is nice, but if i go this route I will give it to my dad who wants something portable for himself.

Now the primary reason I bought this machine was to play PC games. I havent really bought any games since DOOM came out over the summer and while this is capable of handling all the 3rd party games that are out there, I have bought all of them for my Xbox One. Probably because I have more friends in that ecosystem and its just more comfy. For example I bought Battlefield 1 for the Xbox one and I am like over 100 hours into the Witcher 3 on the system. Both these are on the PC and will probably run better, but I guess I just dont care anymore. I am 29 years old and work a regular 9-5 job and I think life just sort of caught up with me.

I am looking at getting a machine that is portable. A laptop sounds nice. It wont draw as much power when running and it wont take up as much space in my room. I am a Web Designer first and graphic designer second. I use mostly Adobe Apps and MS Office so switching OS's wont be a hassle. I also have a monitor from Asus that is more of a workstation monitor. I didnt even care enough to get a gsync monitor almost a year ago. I have a Macbook Pro that I use for work and it holds up really well. I believe this is a 2014 model with the Nvidia 750m.

I dont do any 3d work, or heavy video editing. And the video editing i do, its mostly very light. However I will probably get the Radeon Pro 460 just to have the extra gpu just in case.

I am also eyeing a Razer Blade 14 inch but that isnt important here. I just felt like I should talk to somebody about making a choice in where to go next.

Thank you for any opinions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.