Is The MacBook Pro or Air Right For Me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thecharlesmoore, Jan 16, 2011.

1. thecharlesmoore macrumors member

Hello.
    What I will be using it for:
    *THE.SIMS.3
    (i): I Know what your thinking, but if TS3 does not run on the machine, I WILL NOT GET IT.
    *1080 Video Watching
    (i): I will be just watching YouTube and iTunes videos
    *MAC APP STORE
    (i): I saw some online videos of the Mac App Store and I am blown away! I plan on getting the App "SketchBook Pro" with a drawing tablet.
    *Microsoft Word
    (i): I plan to create a lot of documents
    *Mobility
    (i): I want to be able to pick it up and just GO wherever I want without any problem.

**In all honesty, that's about it. I'm not some "Hardcore Gamer" or "Intense Photo-shop user". I just basically Play The Sims 3 (my grown man vice), Use MS Word, and browse the internet**

NOTE: I plan on getting a 2TB external drive and I'm coming from a 2002 Dell, Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz, 2GB of RAM. With A (custom-installed from Geek Squad) NVIDIA GeForce 7200GS.

2. mbp owner macrumors newbie

I would get the MacBook Pro but the 13" since your only surfing the web and playing games and righting documents. To be honest with you the MacBook Air is a bit of a slow running computer and probably wouldn't be great for running games on. Also, if you are planning on keeping the computer for a long time than I would also definitely go for the MacBook Pro.

3. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

13 inch MacBook Pro 2.4GHz is all you really need for Sims 3

4. BigMoo macrumors member

I would agree in getting the 13" MBP. I have one and i do many of the same tasks as you say you do. You can also look at it this way, if you have a need or desire to use CD's or DVD's then get the MBP but if you don't really care about that you can get the Air because there is no cd drive and the MBP's are a little faster. I would pay the couple extra dollars for the base MBP model over the MBA. I would say that it's up to your preference really.

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

+1 mbp however unless you need it i would wait until the new mbp comes out in a few months. if your not a fanatic about having the latest and greatest like me then dont worry but if you want something a little more powerful for the same price it will be worth the wait

6. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

So far we have 13" MBP.
    If I choose MBP it will be:
    *15" Core i7 2.8GHz
    8GB RAM
    256 SSD

If I choose AIR
    *13" Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz
    4GB RAM
    256 SSD

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Another alternative -- buy a stock entry level MBP 13" & put in a 128gb SSD yourself. That is what I did. I also have a 15". Last 15" I'll ever buy -- feels like a 17" now. I love the 13" size. Never thought I say that. I was not a fan of the 12" PB.

But to answer your question the Air would be fine if you need an ultra light. If you can deal w a couple more lbs. the MBP is more versatile for same $.

8. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

2.13GHz and 2.8GHz is a big difference

9. SEAOFWOLVES macrumors newbie

On the SIMS 3 subject, I installed it on my girlfriends MacBook Air 11" 1.4Ghz 128GB and it runs really well actually, very playable, but of course it would run better on a 13" Pro.

Also, I used a No-DVD crack on hers so it runs without the disc, so you could do that or just buy it from a Direct to drive style site :)

10. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

How So? Cause I have honestly no clue what those numbers mean.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you don't mind the less power, get a 13" Air or Pro. i7 15 inch MBP is about 2x the price of the Air or 13 inch Pro. Get the SSD yourself and upgrade the RAM yourself too.