Is the MacBook Pro supposed to safely shut down at 1% battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woodcrest64, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Just wondering if the Macbook Pro is suppose to safely shut down at 1% or 0% battery life or does it just run right to 0% and the battery is dead?

2. mattysouthall macrumors member

I imagine it would safely shutdown instead of just cutting off.. I have never actually seen it happen though because the batteries are fantastic and it usually just sticks at 1% for a long time before I can be bothered to plug it in.

3. robvas macrumors 68020

You shouldn't be letting it run that low anyway. After 10% you better plug it in.

4. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

This really shouldn't be a thing that you do regularly, but if I remember correctly, there is a warning and if you ignore it, the computer shuts down rather abruptly.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The charge percentage isn't an accurate representation of the actual charge anyway.

Just leave it on the charger when you can and run it from the battery when you have to.

6. leman macrumors 604

It goes on hibernation mode, preserving the current state of RAM on the disk. Once there is enough charge, it will wake up normally.

7. jerryk macrumors 68030

I suspect they shutdown at a much higher level than that of the battery capacity. Somewhere around 20% of actually battery capacity, but is probably displaying near 0%.

Running these batteries to actual 0 is never a good idea. They may not be able to take a charge if you run them too far down. Lookup LiIon jump start.

FWIW, Tesla sets the safety limit for their LiIon cars to 20%. If they go below that they stop and cannot go again until recharged to a minimum level.

8. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

It's supposed to hit "zero" (which is actually a bit above true empty) and go into safe sleep, where memory will be preserved if it really does hit empty. If the battery calibration is off, or if the battery health is abnormal, it may not have time to write all the memory to disk before the battery really runs out, in which case it turns off from loss of power and you lose things.

9. Tarek macrumors 6502

Top off your battery and do not let it run down that much. I know this is not your question, but it's just a tip if you want to preserve its life for a long period of time.