Is the MacBook Pro worth getting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flobber77, Aug 2, 2014.

1. flobber77 macrumors newbie

I need help to decide whether I should go for a windows 8 or a mac please post your thoughts.

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

This is a mac forum. If you don't give us details about what you need the computer for, most people will automatically say "mac." So, what will you be using the computer for?

3. flobber77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mostly for research and work

----------

And a bit if play

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

What kind of work and research? If you'll write your own software, it doesn't matter too much what OS you'll use: Linux, Windows, OSX.

If you need a specific application which only runs on Windows, maybe you'll to spend with a Windows license if you buy a Mac...

5. flobber77 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

So...lots of typing and reports? Will you be bringing the computer to school?

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Since you're not really being helpful at all, I'd suggest getting a Mac. Unless you think a PC will suit your needs better.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

A Mac can run Windows.

A Windows can't run Mac.

'Nuff said :)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since you're low on specifics, use both and see which one best fits your needs. You come to a Mac forum, so mostly the answers will be to get a Mac. Buy the tool that best fits your needs and budget.

10. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

It doesn't matter. Try both and buy the one you like better. Both will be perfectly fine for those tasks.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

School? High School? College? University?

Specifics, please.

12. Hansana macrumors regular

Get a mac. Problem solved. Next..

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Without know specifically why apps are to be run......? You either have firm requirements or you don't.

14. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

As someone who will also be buying there first mac/macbook pro, how well does windows run on it?..I imagine it would be just like any other windows install since they support all hardware already correct?

15. Codevine macrumors newbie

Yes, it runs Windows like any other notebook with the same specs. The hardware in terms of performance is "nothing special" or "only apple".

That being said, to fully utilize the awesome trackpad (and gestures), as well as having optimal battery life, OS X is recommend/better.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

Since you are being so exact I would recommend a nice acer or hp with a large hdd. :D

17. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Get whatever you're comfortable with... Both OSes are great...I recently started using Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3 [ have Win 7 on other PCs ] and it pretty darn good!

If you've always used Windows and a creature of habit, keep at it with Windows.

If I were given a choice between Windows 7 Pro and Mac OS X, I'd pick the former because that's what I primarily use day in and out! Between Windows 8.1 and Mac OS X...I'd prefer going Mac [for now]

The good thing about getting a MBP would be the ability to run Windows too natively! So, you get the best of both worlds + the best touchpad.

I cannot say enough how good the touchpad is on Macs and how frustrating it is on Windows.

18. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

What are some of the features on the trackpad that make it so good?

I've never had a laptop before. So I can't really compare to any windows laptops. I did notice at the store yesterday that swiping right goes back on a webpage , and two fingers up and down scrolls a webpage That was pretty cool.

19. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

This is literally like saying..

"need car..should get a toyota?"

ok what do you need the car for

"drive"

ok drive where?

"drive school"

uhhh ok

20. Codevine macrumors newbie

In general: The surface of the trackpad is really, really good. It's very smooth and just feels awesome. I can use it for 8 hours without my fingers feeling weird. On some Windows Notebooks, I can't use the touchpad for more than 30 minutes, because it feels like I'm rubbing something off my finger. Hell, some touchpads even have little dots on it, which make it really terrible.

Gestures: Scrolling in OS X is super smooth. Going forward/backwards (2/3 fingers left/right is awesome). Switching through spaces (4 fingers left/right for me) is awesome, too. There's also 4 fingers up and down to quickly view all the windows you have opened and select the one you want. There's just a certain "flow" you have when working with the trackpad.

I know that Windows touchpads have been getting better and better, but I haven't found a touchpad on a Windows Notebook that feels that good. I've also tried Asus Zenbooks, which at least have a similarly looking touchpad, lol.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

The gestures. 2 finger scroll, tap to click, tap with two fingers to right click, two finger swipe for back and forward on a page, three finger swipe to switch between spaces, etc etc.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

Post how long you think it will take until this thread is deleted by a mod!

24. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Such a vague statement.

Millions of people say a mac is not worth it and buy PC's
    Less people buy macs instead.

Which is better? MANY, MANY, MANY factors.

25. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Don't be so dry, dude. I prefer macs, they last longer than most PCs and have better battery life, and for the most part they're not as heavy as PCs.