Is the macbook right for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nerd0795, Jul 22, 2008.

1. nerd0795 macrumors newbie

Hello, I just signed up and I am thinking about switching to mac. I am a computer nerd (in training) and want to be computer repair, programmer, 3D modeler, Video editor, Music editor, Photo editor, security guru all in one package labeled computer geek ;)

I wanted to have experience in Windows Vista/XP, Mac os x, OPENsuse (linux), ubuntu (linux), archlinux, and other linux distros using virtualbox or installing it on my hard drive.

Now here are a few things I would like my computer to be able to do... (run Final Cut studio or Sony Vegas (If I can't afford FCS) smoothly (doesn't matter if load times are long but I don't want continous crashes, errros, freezing, ect...

I want to run Blender smoothly. As I said before I don't care about longer load times.

I will probably use GIMP for photo editing. I want to learn programming languages such as python, C++, Java, and more.

I don't game often but I do like to play Halo 2 and Warcraft 3 (8 year old game lol, so the macbook has to be able to play it :p ) Don't care if I have to lower settings but I do want it to run smoothly FPS is not much of an issue.

When I say security guru I mean by Windows security. I will run XP or maybe even Vista under virtualbox. Then infect it for fun :p then clean it out.

I don't care that much about style but I do want reliability (lasts longer then 2 years on average)

I will add ram when I get it (upgrade ram option is expensive :( ) to 3 or 4GB.

I don't multi task that much.

So do you think the :apple: macbook is right for me?

Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong spot.

I will run Windows Vista under bootcamp.

P.S I'm on a budget

EDIT: I'm 14 so it will be used in High school as well...

EDIT 2: I was reading what notebook should I buy but... it didn't give me the info I needed.

2. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

hmm...do you really want a laptop? If not you should consider the iMac (if you are on a budget) or the Mac Pro (if you are not). Also, if you do want a laptop then definitely want to go the route of a Macbook Pro which is better for more graphics extensive stuff and has a bigger and better screen.

So i recommend Macbook pro if you want a laptop and iMac if you want a desktop.

3. nerd0795 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll get an imac for my pro stuff... then buy a used older laptop such as a powerpc.

4. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

If you want to do, among others, video editing with Final Cut, don't get a MacBook - it'll be a dog. A MacBook Pro will suit you far better (albeit at a higher price).

5. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

That's it?

You don't have any counter arguments? You just fell for his words?

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Really? I didn't notice any sluggishness running final cut pro on my macbook, even when open simultaneously with other programs like photoshop. But then maybe I don't use it intensively enough.

Both blender and gimp work great on the mb and I play games like quake 4 with no problems on the lowest settings.

Me personally I think the macbook would suit, especially if you're gonna be adding more ram to it anyway.

7. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

If you're on a budget then I would agree, get the iMac and do you really need a laptop? You might just be better off with just the iMac

8. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Yup, I'm that good.:cool:

9. nerd0795 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had to go that's why. and I didn't think I would get any more posts.

10. apple-smarts22 macrumors newbie

MacBooks are good

MacBooks are decent, they have a Intel Core Duo, from the lowest you can get it in 160GB and is great for portable :apple:

11. Uoila macrumors member

Definitely not. A Macbook Pro is probably more like it .... but those are pricey.

If you don't have the money, I would seriously consider building a Hackintosh. You call your self a computer nerd in training. Building a hackintosh gives you a lot of valuable experience in a lot of areas including OSX, unix, boot loaders, partitions.... etc. You learn a lot more about the system and you save a ton of money.

12. Googon macrumors member

Mac minis are cheap, and dependable. And will hook right on up to your current USB mouse/keyboard, and right onto your monitor! :D

13. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

A MacBook would work for you, although the iMac would be faster for the $50 extra.

14. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Okay, you are 14 years old so I'll break things down for you...

1.) The things you are asking to do on a computer, look at the specs on how much it needs to run and work on your computer. That makes you learn about not only what you are buying but what is best suited for the programs you want to run on your computer. The HDD space isn't big on MacBooks, I've had mine for about a month and I've used all but about 40GB on it and I have a 160HDD and 50 of it is for my windows based side with bootcamp and I only have like 10GB on it left. I push my laptop to its limits. I also use external HDD to back everything on time machine and movies and such on a 500GB external. Look at the programs you want to run for the minimum requirements and compare to a MB. If you want to learn about computers start there.

2.) As you might want to learn C++ and Java at this early age like I did, I wouldn't start with those language. If you do learn it, you won't get as object oriented as you want. I'm thinking you should teach yourself HTML and/or VB which are great programs to start out with to help you start to learn coding. HTML is different than Java and C++ big time but it makes you start to think about programming and if you like it or not. If you do like doing things like that, then I suggest a computer programming class your sophomore year in high school. That's if you want to do it. I didn't get into those classes until that level. They have to make sure you have good enough English and Math skills to get into a community college class to begin learning C++ or Java. The basic running programs like a calculator or adding programs are easy but once you get to the orientated side it requires a high level of math understanding. I'm just getting there as a freshmen in college. I'm doing C++ in my programming class and I'm applying it to Xcode which is a programming language for the iPhone. So, once you get understanding about the lower level languages it might help.

3.) Security guru for Windows XP? lol to begin with cause Windows sucks. I hate how they have it set up so good luck and fix it for us computer guys that don't want to go work for windows. Security guru or programming for security is extensive knowledge in programming and I'm not exactly sure how to do it.

4.) Computer tech guy that fixes laptops? Sure they can make decent money but that's for a college job. It's easy enough. If you want to learn how to put laptops together take an A+ class in high school if they offer it. I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend buying a really old computer and taking it apart and putting it back together, learning the parts. It's help to just know so you know how laptops and computers work. I also suggest not taking the A+ test at your age either, its $300 each for 2 tests. Ones computer hardware and one is networking. So, don't worry about that, even I didn't go for it. It's pretty hard. I took some practice ones and scored a 65% I just didn't know printers well enough.

5.) Good luck, I wouldn't go all over the place. I'd select one you like and work with it for awhile and if you like it, become good in it. Or if you don't like it too much, test something out. You have plenty of time to learn all the things you want, but don't forget life and people in your life. There are more than just computers out there. I enjoy learning about things but I make sure I see my friends still. I'm just saying I've got sucked in playing around on the computer and playing video games instead of my friends, and it's not fun. Just a piece of advice. Good luck and get what you want kid.

15. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

MacBook Pro will run smoother for you... but then again I would not underestimate the power of the macbooks, they are decent machines.