is the macbook too thin?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gooser, Mar 20, 2015.

1. gooser macrumors 6502a

will the keyboard rub against the screen and make the anti glare coating rub off like on the retina pro models? i'm sure we'll all have to wait and see. would hate to see a second dose of smeargate.

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah, totally too thin. I long for a laptop that's 2 inches thick, and made of plastic, and which requires a big bag carry it in, and requires a second battery because a 12 hour charge gets 2 hours of use. Heck, I hope they go even further and slap a Dell logo on the back!

3. technosix macrumors 6502a

Unless it's jammed in a backpack with heavy books, or an overstuffed laptop bag you should be fine. Apples previous models, of which I've had 90% of have never been a problem and mine are carried daily, often on international flights. Using a little care they've been terrific laptops.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There have been folks who complaint, all models of Macbook, the kbd is touching their screen and they are unhappy. Nothing new. It's all on one's propensity to look for problems.

5. lchlch macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that the anti glare coating is coming off because it wasn't applied properly. If done properly, you wouldn't be able to get it off even with a nail.

6. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

7. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

maybe so. my concern is that apple is apparently just finding out about how bad of a problem that this is. they may not have enough time to get to the bottom of it and correct it before the release date of another retina laptop.

8. lchlch macrumors 6502a

i wouldn't really call less than 0.1% to be a bad problem. More like a bad batch.

9. pasadena, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I haven't read many posts about that problem, but from what I've seen, most occurrence are either at the top of the screen or the full screen. I don't think the keyboard has anything to do with that.

And even if it did, the problem isn't that something is touching the screen, the problem is that the coating doesn't hold.

10. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Yes. Entirely. That's why I'm so fat.

As to the coating... I believe it's really coming off because people are using chemicals to clean their screens...

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Nope.

12. Serban Suspended

no problem here with my retina macs...so its a user fault..using on the display anything but water, and even with too much water the coat will suffer

13. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I've been cleaning my screen for years with a home made concoction of paint remover, nail polish remover, and taco bell hot sauce, and never had a problem. In fact, my screen is so clean, I can see right through it.

14. newellj macrumors 603

That is not going to work on the new rMB, however. They've eliminated the cutout in the lid for the Apple logo. It's another example of design decisions that significantly impact the functionality of the machine. :rolleyes: :D

15. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Yes it does indeed remove the annoying apple logo you see on screen when the back of the lid is facing a light source.

16. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I think the comment was meant to be sarcastic... I don't think anyone has any particular affection for the glowing Apple logo anymore. Especially since it plagues the computer with the issue you describe.

I think they took it out to maintain the structural integrity of such a thin screen's support.

17. newellj macrumors 603

My comment was not serious at all - I was picking up on the post about the method used to clean the screen. ;)

18. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

I prefer acid. It takes off all deposits. And as a side benefit it also cleans the inside of the computer with just a light external application.

The best part is it also automatically disposes of my cleaning rag for me. I'm too lazy to bother with getting up to throw the rags away.

19. Alloy201 Suspended

The fact that we pay thousands and can't touch it with anything more than water is a joke. It's not a user problem, it's a company cutting corners while applying the screen. Apple markets their computers as the best, then I shouldn't have to worry about my screen peeling off because I didn't use the right pressure while cleaning the screen. Nobody should be using chemicals, but it's a joke that people accept this crap.

20. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I've used my rMBP in clamshell almost exclusively and so far not issues with the coating. I hope it stays that way...

The screen won't touch the keys on the new MacBook.

21. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

The glowing Apple logo is the one thing I hate giving up for the thinner computer.

22. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Great news. You can have the thicker computer, and you can have your glowing Apple. Simply by ANY Mac laptop except the 2015 Macbook and you can have all the fat, glowing-laptop screens you'd like. LOL

23. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I'm buying the computer. I hate giving it up but it worth it. Nobody gets everything they want.

24. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Definitely. I'm sure they removed it for a reason. And the new laptop is totally worth it IMO.

25. Mcdevidr, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I'm not enamored by the glowing light. Dont matter to me. I like the extra thinness. By the way can they open up pre orders already. Need this thing yesterday. Also need some more posts so I can offload my 15.4 cheap to someone.