Is the macbook your ONLY computer? (especially for college students)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solaris7, Aug 5, 2008.

?

Is the macbook your ONLY computer?

1. YES, the macbook fits my portable needs and the screen is just right!

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. YES, but I connect it to an external monitor at home/dorm

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. NO, I also use a desktop at home/dorm

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. NO, I use a macbook pro and it is the only computer I have/use

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. solaris7 macrumors regular

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Yep - MacBook is all I use at college although there are times when I wish I had a desktop but I don't need one

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

MBP for me, but yes, it's my only computer (I could have gone with a macbook and have been fine, but I wanted a larger screen).

I agree with the post above me, there are sometimes when I miss having a desktop, but the ability to have a laptop to take to class when need outweighs that greatly.

4. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Sometimes I wouldn't mind the power of an iMac, but the screen is big enough for my work & play, and I connect it the TV for movies. MacBook is great for college.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

For normal college needs, the macbook always worked perfectly for me.

I do connect it to an external monitor when at home, but that's certainly more of a luxury than a necessity.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Macbook air in the hizzy for sheezy in the weezy.
    Contemplating a superdrive to watch dvds, but happy so far with everything.
    Seriously, for masters level course work, all you need is safari, powerpoint (or keynote), and word (or some word processor). And Itunes.

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I have a mbp as a desktop and thinkpad x61s for a portable in school. I can't find my choice in that poll!

8. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

i selected "YES, the macbook fits my portable needs and the screen is just right!" although i do have a family pc at home.. but i only use it for itunes/limewire

haha, pcee :apple:

9. bsamcash macrumors regular

Yep, MacBook's it for me, school, home, and around. I don't really care for a desktop, I have a 22" monitor and no need for the extra graphics power. But I would like a Mac Mini as a home server/router, beats the heck out of a Base Station!

10. okayjustin macrumors member

Yeah I have a blackbook and I'm happy most with it's design and it's exclusiveness. I don't think I'm much of a power user and the screen I just hook up to a widescreen which makes it perfect. I'm a sophomore in college

11. munckee macrumors 65816

I used a macbook exclusively (with an external LCD at home) for quite a while. Eventually I supplemented it with a used core solo mini just for movies and music, but could have done without.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

My MacBook is my only personal computer. It is fantastic.

I have a 17" MacBook Pro w/ 24" LCD at work, however.

13. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Use the MBP at class and at the office. Back home I use the Mac Pro and some Linux/Windows boxes.

14. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

I've been using my Macbook as my only computer for over two years now and I've never felt like I needed something else. I don't use an external monitor, also.

15. poolish macrumors regular

had this macbook for a year now, got it a few months before i started uni, its perfect.

definitely recommend.

i was tempted to get a macbook pro, but im glad i didnt. i dont even notice the screen is smaller, i watch movies and tv on it and its fine. obviously as its smaller, its more portable, can just carry it round like a book.

you can probably get education discount as well, like £100 or more off, so check that out too.

i love my macbook. lol

16. DJAznSensation macrumors member

DJAznSensation

my macbook pro is perfect for my college needs and then some... i also use it for my music and DJ needs which handles everything perfectly!

I still have my old toshiba laptop, which is grounded and acts like a desktop, in which handles the activities that i dont want my MBP doing

:apple: DJ Asian Sensation

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it was until yesterday, when I got an iMac. I used the macbook with an external KB/mouse/monitor, and it worked very well. Still, it's no iMac! :D

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

i always have had the macbook, but i did have an ibook g4 which got stolen at school, so my parents bought me another mac laptop after a period of 3 months. its light and portable, whereas the 15" is not as portable, although I will be buying one hopefully when the new chassis comes out. but yea, im a high school student and the macbook is perfect for me, but i'm probably going ot have a macbook pro for college since I'm planning on a CS major.

19. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Macbook Pro for me with an external Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP. However if you aren't concerned with gaming I would see no reason that a MacBook wouldn't be sufficient.

20. AMV macrumors newbie

I used my MBP for film school. It was the only computer I used. I did use an external hd for the raw footage and another one for final projects. :D

21. psudude macrumors newbie

yes, it's my only computer. Does all I need to do. may down the road get a pro if i want to do more video editing, but for now my macbook works

22. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

No but I could live with it as my only computer.

23. BileGhost macrumors member

I don't fit into any of those catagories...

I have a macbook, which I use without an external moniter, and I have an IBM ThinkPad, which sits under my bed in a horrible mess of broken power cords and barely spinning harddrives. But I still own it.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is the perfect college setup as far as I'm concerned. I own 14 computers but I only have 2 with me, my macbook pro and an eeePC. Even when I go home I dont touch the other computers since mac runs windows also I do everything on my MBP. Back in my living area (you see it in the picture) I have my mbp, monitor, and external harddrive. At my office I have the same setup but with a smaller external drive. Not only do I have the portability of a laptop to drag with me wherever I go, but I also have the convenience of a desktop. Its a great setup and I recommend it to anyone. You will have room in your dorm because my living area is smaller then any college dorm I've been in.

[​IMG]

25. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Long live the Pismo :cool: Feel the power of 450 whole megahertz and dual battery bays.
    As you would imagine I also use a PowerMac at home.