Is the MacMini OK for Office/FileMaker Pro Use

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by fenner, Jun 6, 2007.

1. fenner macrumors newbie

Hi There

My small business requires 3 user computers and 1 server. The server will only be for hosting FileMaker Server and the users will mostly be using FileMaker Pro 8.5, e-mail and internet. I have 3 old MacMinis (pre-Intel, 512mb Ram). I also have 3 x G4 PowerMacs (I will use one for the server) and 4 Apple 20" LCD Monitors.

As I have the monitors I am reluctant to purchase three new 20" iMacs. Does anyone here know how FileMaker will perform with this setup? I don't require the best performance, yet I do not want "sluggish" behaviour either. Thanks.

2. Angrist macrumors 6502

The mini's should be fine, although more RAM is always better.

As for the PowerMacs, it really depends on the specs.

Before you discount getting iMacs .... I didn't think that the Mini's had ADC ports .... so if you've got the old "easel" displays you could be in trouble.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My department uses Intel Mac minis for office work and FileMaker 8. We need to wait until we get another site license purchase until we go to more then likely Filemaker 9.

It's still responsive via Rosetta. Just make sure to get as much RAM as you can.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, we're using Minis as Filemaker servers here.

5. fenner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

The monitors are Apple's new 20" Cinema Displays. The PowerMac is the silver-door 1.25Ghz model with 1.5Gb ram - this will be the FMP8 server. The mac minis are G4 PowerPC 1.25Ghz/512Mb/40GB HD/Combo and will run FMP 8.5. I think this should be OK. If Apple brings out a mid-range tower then I will upgrade then.

6. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

The Mini will do fine with anything that falls into the basic computing category. Pop some more RAM in and you'll have great multi-tasking as well.