Is the MacPRo a LOUD computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jigen08, May 27, 2007.

1. jigen08 macrumors newbie

I've had a MacPro since February. For the past month and a half it's become loud with noisy fans. I can be working in Maya or Shake (processor intensive) or watching a DVD only and it's loud. Also the revving often shifts, with periods of greater loudness, without me changing activities.

Here are my current temps (it's nosiy now):

CPU A - 104
    CPU B- 106
    Mem Module 1 - 173
    Mem Module 2 - 189
    Mem Module 3 - 167
    Mem Module 4 - 158
    Power Supply 1 - 121
    Power Supply 2 - 121

I called AppleCare to ask if this is a problem. They're able to handle OS questions, so my questions were a little beyond their domain: they couldn't tell me if these temperatures were bad or if the MacPro is characterized as a noisy computer. They said I should take it in if it shows signs of problems (slowdowns, crashing, etc.) but otherwise it's probably fine. I've had no problems, other than having to turn the speaker up to hear a DVD, no slowdown, etc.

I keep going back and forth on deciding to take it in, as it's a day (or half) wasted, I don't have a car right now, and it might be fine (and although I like the Apple Store I find shopping malls monstrous and unbearable).

So the question is...Is the MacPro a noisy computer? Is it just the post-winter temperatures running it warmer? If it is noisy, is there anything I can do to make it quiet, besides headphones?

Thanks, Happy Memorial Day to everyone.

2. drbrog macrumors member

I've had mine since August and its whisper quiet.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Did you put non-Apple-spec memory into it? My Mac Pro is one of the quietest desktop computers I have ever owned.

4. spaz8 macrumors 6502

Are those temps in fahrenheit? i'm assuming its not celcius.

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

6. chelsel macrumors 6502

Those temperatures, especially memory, seem extraordinarily high...

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Put it in Celsius for gods sake :). I've never got fahrenheit.

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Do you have the ATi X1900XT graphics card, if you do check the intake it might be clogged with dust.

Though the temperature of the RAM seem a little high.

9. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

whats this fahrenheit you talk of? hasn't been used since metric. :p

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Temperatures in Centigrade:

CPU A - 40
    CPU B - 41
    Mem 1 - 78
    Mem 2 - 87
    Mem 3 - 75
    Mem 4 - 70
    Power 1 - 49
    Power 2 - 49

I used the conversion factor of [(deg F) -32]/1.8=(deg C)

The RAM is clearly overheating, if it's Apple RAM call Applecare to get it replaced. They should be able to post it straight to you to fix.

FWIW when my PC overheated, the company Evesham (a local company) could deal with what temperatures were too high, if AppleCare can't then that's very poor, and in that case ask to talk to their supervisor.

11. AppleMan101 macrumors regular

I know it may sound a little stupid, but have you checked that there's nothing blocking the vents?

I vacuumed out the dust of my 18 month old iMac and saw a reduction of about 60% in all my fan speeds and it's only on my desk...which isn't very dusty. If you MacPro is on the floor, or even worse on a carpet floor, it's likely to suck up a lot of dust, so it's worth checking that out.

If everything else fails, try repairing permissions, resetting the PRAM, fsck-ing and all the usual witchcraft.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Very true, that's a good idea, computers on the floor collect stupid amounts of dust (like a tumble dryer), though the RAM is still very very hot.

13. Evergreen macrumors member

Evergreen

You can put heatsinks on the ram if they don't have them already.

14. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

My MP is very quiet, except for the dvd drive, which is INSANELY loud -- I thought it was defective using it at first!

15. jigen08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the help. Sorry for not using Centigrade; I keep forgetting we (the US) haven't conquered the rest of the world yet and forced you all to convert to our old ways.

It is Apple memory and I think I'll take it in after all. If it's a "quiet" computer, mine is clearly abnormal. I've owned two G5s and neither sounded like this. I've checked inside for dust and it seems clean, although I'm unable to pull out the fans like I can with my G5s - is this normal? Should I be able to pull the fans out?

Thanks again.

16. jigen08 thread starter macrumors newbie

one more thing...

My G5 fans seem to run over 1100 rpms.

My MP fans run in the 500-600 rpms. Is this perhaps the problem?

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's the RAM. The other temps seem normal at least compared to my MP. The RAM though is high. I use non-Apple, but Apple certified RAM from OWC, and my RAM temps are around 15-20 degrees cooler. Also my fans are so quite I get irritated by the sound of 4 HDs spinning. If you have Apple RAM send it in, If its non-Apple. Check that is is certified and has the certified heat sinks. If not you'll need to bit the bullet and by new RAM.

18. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

are ALL your fans running that speed? because thats normal if its running at 500-600rpm and being really noisy something is very wrong. Mine run at 500 RPM for everything but the powersupply which runs at 600 RPM and the exhaust is also 600. So if yours is noisy open it up and see if somethings on the fans.

19. jigen08 thread starter macrumors newbie

follow up and thanks

I thought I'd revisit this post and say thanks again for advice and suggestions and let you know what the final result was. I took the MP into the Apple Store (which is a great place, the only shop I actually enjoy going into, but a little bit of a pain for me to get to - hence my initial reluctance) and let the Geniuses work their magic.

It turns out it was a faulty graphics card which was probably causing additional heat issues; they swapped it out and two days later it's back and blissfully silent.

So now I can say it is a quiet computer. If yours isn't quiet, take it in to the Geniuses.

Thanks again all.

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

YOU'RE WELCOME...:p