Is the MagSafe Really Safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser1232, Nov 20, 2012.

1. macuser1232, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

So I think we all know that the purpose of the Magsafe charger is to safely snap out of the charger if it's cord is pulled. Is this really actually safe? Does it not damage the internals of the charger, or charger magnet? It has to make scratches! What do you think?

2. sensorian macrumors member

I think that will have been comprehensively and definitively tested before it was released to the consumer. The magsafe 2 also snaps out easier which is probably a refinement on the original version (too easily in my opinion).

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It doesn't really matter what we think, that is exactly what the magsafe is designed for and that's how it functions. Sure, if you don't put it on straight and are scraping it against the side of the computer it will cause scratches, using it normally won't.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, no and no. I've used macs for years and I've never seen one with scratches due to the magsafe.

What do I think? I think you may be over thinking or over worrying about a minute detail that will not affect the computer's functionality, ever.

5. zeeklancer, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012

zeeklancer macrumors regular

Really? You are asking this?

Lets just take a step back.

You have a normal connecter, like ones found on dell, or lenovo. You trip over your cord and your laptop comes crashing to the ground and shatters into a billion shards of plastic ( dell, and lenovo ya know).

The Magsafe is not designed to protect the charger, it is designed to protect the laptop. Who cares if the charger breaks when you trip over the cord. Thats $85, vs the 2k + of the laptop.

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'd much rather be left with a MBP that has a few scratches from the MagSafe pulling free then to have one that falls onto the floor and gets damaged. Scratches don't hurt performance. But if your computer drops onto a hard floor, chances you'll have some problems.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'm fairly certain that it works as it's designed to work. We have 3 MBPs in the house, one of them a 2008 model, and none of them have any scratches or damage (that I'm aware of) due to the magsafe connector. And yes - the quick disconnect has been tested many times and the laptops are still safe. :)

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

MagSafe has stronger magnet compared to MagSafe 2.
    My machine did get pulled a bit couple of times.

But Id rather have scratches than pulling my machine to the ground like my PBG4.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's safe. Unplugging, even abruptly, causes no harm to the charger or magnet. Of course, pulling too hard on the cord can cause damage.

10. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Well if pulling too hard causes damage then what are you supposed to do when a foot steps on the cord. The force of your leg and foot stepping on it can jerk the cord out pretty forcefully.

11. sensorian macrumors member

You should get a job in Health & Safety or Quality control. You'd be perfect.:eek:

12. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Thanks. I'm not sure if I have OCD or paranoia.

13. stuaz macrumors 6502

Is this thread not like saying, "Oh my air bag has deployed, but my airbag is now mangled".

The point of the airbag is to save the occupant. In the same way the cord being magnetic saves the laptop. It is somewhat irrelevant what happens to the cord and/or airbag afterwards...

Bigger picture!

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Maybe you're just paranoid about having OCD. :D

15. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

ohh snap! :d

16. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

It won't pull because the magnet will let go of the laptop rather quickly, and then the cable will be free.

So even when it's being trampled on, there won't be significant tugging on the charger cord.

17. burdekin macrumors member

Thanks to the magsafe connector i still have a functioning macbook pro. I accidentally tripped over the cord and it detached leaving the macbook sitting on the table working on battery. That was over 12 months ago and still all working ok. Great design item. :apple: