Is the MAS just a store front

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lpeedin, Jul 23, 2012.

1. lpeedin macrumors regular

First, I love the idea of the Mac App Store, but I have to wonder if it is doomed to failure. We're seemingly only days away from the release of Mountain Lion; however, the #2 Paid App in the MAS is OS X Lion. I would have thought that anyone wanting Lion would have installed it long ago.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What would make you think that?
    Not necessarily. Not everyone is interested in Lion at this point. Like many, I prefer SL for now. How does any of this lead to a conclusion that the MAS is doomed to failure? It's success has nothing to do with which version of Mac OS X is installed, as long as it's 10.6.6. or later.

3. lpeedin thread starter macrumors regular

My point was that in the overall evolution of OSX, if Lion is still the #2 paid app in the MAS, then they must not be selling much of anything else.

4. simsaladimbamba

You finally upgraded. At this tempo you will arrive at Lion in 2014 and Mountain Lion in 2018. Unless you have to get a new Mac, which already comes with a newer and degraded version of OS X. Or was it Mac OS X?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL! Actually I wouldn't have upgraded, but the Genius bar did so for me free of charge, to facilitate a networking issue. My MBP was running Leopard and a mini was running SL. They claimed it would be better for troubleshooting if they ran the same, so they upgraded the MBP.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah, so let me get this straight.

You haven't upgraded to Lion (let alone Mountain Lion, when it comes out) because you are ...err...how to say this... too frugal?? :confused: ;)

A loan, at usurious rates of interest, is available through the Shrink Loan Company and Carwash.

(Only available to those with Credit Scores above 800) :eek:

:rolleyes::D

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's obviously not a financial issue. Lion has nothing I need or want. I usually only upgrade when a new OS version has something I need or want that my current OS doesn't have.

Cool! How much free credit do I get with a carwash? And does that mean my loan Shrinks over time, even if I make no payments? Or do I need to keep a clean car to stay current with payments?

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

LOL...literally!!:D:D

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

Way to take the thread completely off topic people!

OP: MAS is slow compared to the iOS. I'd say within a year it'd be booming with almost double the apps.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's not really the way it works. First, every Mac owner is a potential Lion customer, and Apple's always had great upgrade statistics, plus the $30 price point makes a huge difference compared to their already high upgrade rates. Very few other apps on the store can claim to be actually useful to nearly all Mac owners, so their numbers are almost always going to be lower. Doesn't mean they're not selling well, just not likely to ever sell as well as a cheap OS upgrade.

jW

11. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I'd say that Lion is where it is in that list cuz Apple wants it there...what makes you think it's an honest reflection of what is purchased in the store?

I'm not saying that Apple is any worse than any other retailer, but let's face it, the house brands usually get preeminence even at your corner store.

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

This is an assumption and it's illogical. You can only get Lion at the Mac App Store. A lot of 3rd party developers sell on the MAS as well as through their own site.

The MAS is not going to fail. To get iCloud and Notification Center support in your app you have to be distributed via the MAS.