Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think there is a reason for it. Since the introduction of Iphone 6/6s/6+ they did not introduce the black color option, last was in Iphone 5/5s. So, may be people are more attracted to the matte black coming in after a longer span of around 2-3 years.
I guess people out here would agree with me on this notion.
I suspect, but have no proof, that black (both matte and jet black) was offered as a color option because Apple expected low upgrade rates from those of us with an iPhone 6/6+/6s/6s+.

My opinion only, I have no proof of that.
[doublepost=1487012804][/doublepost]
Tell me this isn't one of the hottest things ever
IMG_2087.jpg
Must NOT look at FUGLY CAMERA BUMP!!!

My eyes, my eyes!!!!!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Tell me this isn't one of the hottest things ever
IMG_2087.jpg

[doublepost=1487012552][/doublepost]
Yep, and I was considering leaving my 6s at the house this morning, but I love my music too much
Maybe once I get my BeatsX I'll bring only my Apple Watch and BeatsX around and leave the phone at home

I will never ever look at a pic of a phone in the same way as I look at a pic of someone or someplace.

Just won't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I suspect, but have no proof, that black (either matte or jet black) was offered as a color option because Apple expected low upgrade rates from those of us with an iPhone 6/6+/6s/6s+.

Makes sense, while customers love new cameras and stuff, the former's design was getting old and customers only really know a new phone from the new color, design, or feature

Think, iPhone 5s new color, 6 new design, 6s new color, 7 refined design and new color

I think y'all can agree you know you got a new phone because the new looks
[doublepost=1487013072][/doublepost]
I suspect, but have no proof, that black (both matte and jet black) was offered as a color option because Apple expected low upgrade rates from those of us with an iPhone 6/6+/6s/6s+.

[doublepost=1487012804][/doublepost]
Must NOT look at FUGLY CAMERA BUMP!!!

My eyes, my eyes!!!!!
I actually think the 7's bump is very beautiful (although I've seen a bumpless render and that looks pretty too)

However the 6s's bump was in a awkward location and was just "there", the one on the 7 shows it was thought about
[doublepost=1487013214][/doublepost]
I will never ever look at a pic of a phone in the same way as you look at a pic of someone or someplace.

Just won't happen.
I'm just a design buff, all of this stuff to me is like a museum to a painter, it's art, and it's a highlight of it

Reactions: eyoungren

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Best design and form factor for me is the Moto X 2013. Who agrees?
It was okay, kinda cheap, wish there was a metal option
I owned one, and I overestimated the water resistance, now I have a dead phone sitting in my drawer

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Best looking iPhone ever is the black iPhone 5 followed closely by the space gray 5s/SE...

Best looking phone ever IMO is the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge in ANY COLOR...

Reactions: r3m1

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I would say they are young and their iPhone and/or AW is likely to be the most important thing to them.

You get a little older and wife, family and job will change your priorities. Had a friend who was obsessed with keeping his phone looking like new. He got married and had a couple of kids and now he will gladly hand his phone over to the kids for a few minutes of peace and quiet!

My how our priorities in life change quickly!

Actually, I work full time and have a daughter and another one on the way. Thanks for making assumptions though.

Reactions: 44267547

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Best looking iPhone ever is the black iPhone 5 followed closely by the space gray 5s/SE...

Best looking phone ever IMO is the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge in ANY COLOR...
Not white
Lmao

Not sure why they did white (think only select markets got it anyway)

megagene

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
I think the S7 Edge in either black or silver is the best looking phone of all time so far.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I would say they are young and their iPhone and/or AW is likely to be the most important thing to them.

You get a little older and wife, family and job will change your priorities. Had a friend who was obsessed with keeping his phone looking like new. He got married and had a couple of kids and now he will gladly hand his phone over to the kids for a few minutes of peace and quiet!

My how our priorities in life change quickly!

I have, literally, half a dozen kids, and a granddaughter. I get the new iPhone every year and my previous one is always pristine.

It's possible to have a family and still treat your expensive gear well.

Reactions: Jacoblee23

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have, literally, half a dozen kids, and a granddaughter. I get the new iPhone every year and my previous one is always pristine.

It's possible to have a family and still treat your expensive gear well.

Agreed. Some find excuses to why they allowed their property suffer damage or are Careless on how they handle it. It's not difficult to care for things you own and how you manage them. Some cannot grasp this concept. Mistakes can happen, but some things are preventable.

Reactions: eoblaed

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Agreed. Some find excuses to why they allowed their property suffer damage or are Careless on how they handle it. It's not difficult to care for things you own and how you manage them. Some cannot grasp this concept. Mistakes can happen, but some things are preventable.

I've just seen this assertion too many times, that the only people that take pride in caring for their stuff must be kids, and once you 'get a wife', or 'get a family', or 'gain real responsibilities' (in other words, once you stop being a loser), you necessarily lose those priorities.

It's ok for different people to have different priorities. It's ok that some of us take care of our expensive electronics, and it's equally ok that for some people, that's not a big deal. Really, it's all good. People that try to convince others that those in the former camp are only there because they're immature or have no real responsibility in their lives are just doing it to justify what they must be interpreting as a character flaw in themselves by not caring as much about the condition of their possessions ... when really, it doesn't matter.

Want to keep your stuff in pristine condition? Great. Lots of us do. Don't place such a high priority on that and don't care if it gets banged up a bit? That's great too. Lots of other folks feel the same.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've just seen this assertion too many times, that the only people that take pride in caring for their stuff must be kids, and once you 'get a wife', or 'get a family', or 'gain real responsibilities' (in other words, once you stop being a loser), you necessarily lose those priorities.

It's ok for different people to have different priorities. It's ok that some of us take care of our expensive electronics, and it's equally ok that for some people, that's not a big deal. Really, it's all good. People that try to convince others that those in the former camp are only there because they're immature or have no real responsibility in their lives are just doing it to justify what they must be interpreting as a character flaw in themselves by not caring as much about the condition of their possessions ... when really, it doesn't matter.

Want to keep your stuff in pristine condition? Great. Lots of us do. Don't place such a high priority on that and don't care if it gets banged up a bit? That's great too. Lots of other folks feel the same.

Right. I look at it like everything is an investment. Some things cost more than others. I all to well take care of all my possessions, including electronics, my cars, anything I own. But then again, it comes from how I was raised and taught how to treat property that you own and pay for. Some don't share those values and treat the property like garbage. I also have an understanding when you take care of something, it will last longer than most.

The whole family concept of not having responsibilities is anecdotal. No one can speak for how others Manage their property. It's all user based. You make the concious decision to use caution when handling an $800.00 iPhone, etc. Again, mistakes happen. But a lot of accidents are preventable.

To each their own.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Actually, I work full time and have a daughter and another one on the way. Thanks for making assumptions though.

Why so sensitive? Lighten up!

No one says everyone does the same. I do not, but am watching my friends raise families and am amazed at their change their priorities. Not blaming or saying they are wrong.

Thanks for making assumptions, works in both directions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
From the back side jet black iPhone looks the best out of all iPhones to me.The front looks bad though with the bezels

Last edited:

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
From the back side jet black iPhone looks the best out of all iPhones to me.The front looks bad though with the bezels
I wouldn't say the bezels are the problem, it's the g**d**m LCD panel!

The Apple's Watch's bezels are a little crazy, but because it's OLED Apple blends the entire OS where there's no border UI elements (like the Status Bar) so it looks like there's really no bezel ever unless you use the Timelapse face or Photo face

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Personally i prefer the Jet Black 7 Plus, but i do have to admit that the Samsung S7 Edge also looks nice, it's just that when you start using it's software that's when the letdown begins. I do think Apple will bring the OLED to their phones this year with the iPhone 8, i also think the bezels will be shrunk if not gone altogether.

niceandeasy

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2017
The back's a bit plain for me but it's a beautiful device nonetheless. I actually prefer the 6/6S.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why so sensitive? Lighten up!

No one says everyone does the same. I do not, but am watching my friends raise families and am amazed at their change their priorities. Not blaming or saying they are wrong.

Thanks for making assumptions, works in both directions.

How apt Newtons. Telling other forum members to lighten up doesn't seem to Drive your point home about 'Assumptions'. Everyone has different priorities and views. @Jacoblee23 was saying all lifestyles vary and it doesn't mean we can't respect that without considering others situations. I hope this cleared your assumptions. Anyways, got better things to do.

On topic: OP, I would likely choose matte black next time for my next iPhone color. I like the stealth, brushed undertoned look to it. I think we will see this color in future iPhone's for while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacoblee23

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Oh yeah the white is not pretty at all. Wow!
It's just it looks cheap as hell, looks like one of their POS budget phones or those old ass Samsung phones everyone carries around with them

The white iPhone looks premium, the S7 and S7 Edge do not

Update: The back of the white S7 Edge is hot af, looks like the ceramic Apple Watch, but the face is still ugly, think if they went with a black face white back that could save it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.