Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw3571

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I'm debating between an MBA and a MBP. I keep reading in posts that the MBA is faster than the MBP. Is this true? I get that being SSD it boots faster, but does it make everything run faster?

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I'm debating between an MBA and a MBP. I keep reading in posts that the MBA is faster than the MBP. Is this true? I get that being SSD it boots faster, but does it make everything run faster?

All applications will boot up faster but not necessarily run faster. Why not just get a MBP with an SSD? It makes a world of difference.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It has a slower processor than any MBP, has less maximum RAM than any MBP, and MBPs can be ordered with or upgraded to SSDs, so no, how are you thinking an MBA is faster than any MBP?

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
SSD makes boot, application launch, caching, reading files much faster. You have to balance that with the amount of write cycles the SSD can handle before it reaches its end...

Alot of people balance that by putting the OS on the SSD and Data on a regular drive, although most users wouldn't have an issue running solely off an SSD.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010

I have a MBP 15" i5 with a SSD installed.

There is no MBA that's faster than this machine.. period.

I have more processing power
I have more ram
I have a faster SSD
I have a better GPU

You can buy a MBP 15" for the exactly same amount as the 13" ultimate MBA, then toss in a SSD and you're golden.

If you want ultra-portable, get a MBA. If you want power, get the pro... it's that simple. Get whatever machine is the best for the job.

I wanted a MBA SOOOOO bad... ended up with this baby though and it's FLYING with the new SSD I installed today.

jw3571

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2010
How can you get an 15 inch i5 for the same price as the mba ultimate? The 15 i5 starts at 1799 while the ultimate is 1599 or 1699 with 4gb ram.

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
How can you get an 15 inch i5 for the same price as the mba ultimate? The 15 i5 starts at 1799 while the ultimate is 1599 or 1699 with 4gb ram.
The MBA 13" ultimate is $1,799. You can get a 15" MBP refurb for $1529. Add a OWC Pro 120 GB SSD for $239 and a Data Doubler for $75. So, for $44 dollars more you can 128 GB of SSD and 320 GB of HDD for a total of 440 GB, a much more capable CPU and GPU, Firewire 800, ethernet, backlit keyboard, battery indicator LEDs, better camera, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.