Is the MBP 13 for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kruso2, Aug 31, 2015.

1. kruso2 macrumors regular

I have a MBA 13" 2013 and can get a new MBP 13" 2015 on discount. Love the MBA as its snappy, got long lasting battery life and I have never heard the fan (even if I put my ear to the chassi).

I'm basically only looking for upgrade for screen estate (plan to run the MBP with 1680x1050 or 1920x1200) and a little better IGPU performance (only playing hearthstone).

Is now a good time to buy?
    Or will the resolution do that I get less performance than my MBA?
    Do you think the MBP will be redesigned when the skylake version get released?

2. Sumter macrumors regular

Sumter

I doubt rMBP with Skylake will come out this year. Probably early 2016.

I had a perfectly fine MBA 13" 2013 as well, but I switched to rMBP 13" 2015 just because of the screen. I really care about the screen quality, and while MBA is definitely not bad, it's not exactly great either. I like to browse the web in bed with my macbook and that's when my face gets close to the screen, like pretty close, inches away. I can see little pixels when I do that. It always bothered me a lot and strained my eyes a bit. with rMBP it doesn't happen anymore, I can't believe how crisp everything looks even up close.

But because the laptop was working fine and I wasn't willing to spend so much money just for a better screen, I held off until I got an eye surgery... after that I felt that my eyes needed less strain when reading stuff on a laptop. That sealed the deal for me.

If you're not in a hurry for a new laptop, I would just wait however. I know I would have waited if I wasn't in my situation. I feel that 2016 will be a pretty big year for Apple...

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The rMBP will run like your air with a better screen. So yes if a better screen and more real estate is what you want it is perfect for you.

4. Spankey macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from an earlier model Air that was serving me well as far as performance goes, but I like the Pro more. The little added weight makes the laptop seem more balanced. The screen is leaps and bounds better than the Air. Add the new trackpad and extended ports and the 14" Pro is a winner of a machine for me.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I think the 2015 13 rMBP with the Broadwell CPU and Force Touch trackpad would be a very good upgrade.

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

yep, it will be a big upgrade over the MBA - and you get more ports!

7. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I had a 2012 Air ... Great machine, apart from the screen, and more comfortable to use with the tapered front than the MBPr, but in every other way the MBPr is brilliant. For text sharpness, depth of colours, I could never go back to a non-retina screen now.

8. kruso2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all! You made it easier to decide.
    I have had 3 MBA's and so far I regret that I didn't make the move earlier. Absolutely love this screen as I don't have any external monitor and this is my main (and only) computer.

9. kruso2 thread starter macrumors regular

How picky should I be?
    The enter key button is a bit loose? But everything else seems fine.
    It that normal on MBPr?

10. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL