Is the MBP 13 inch good enough for Xcode development?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glutenbob, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Glutenbob macrumors newbie

I am talking about the low end 13 inch, i5 2.4ghz dual core processor with 4GB of RAM.

Or should I invest in one of the 15 or 17 inch quad core models?

2. MacaDroid macrumors member

What type of development are you planning on doing?

3. Glutenbob thread starter macrumors newbie

Just regular iphone/ipad app stuff. I want to make a 2D platformer with ither Cocos2D or OpenGL ES by the end of the year. Most of my work will be apps that use openGL ES.

4. MacaDroid macrumors member

I think the 13" model would be fine for that, but if you can shell out the money just get the 15".

5. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

it will be fine performance wise.

But... Are you planning on programming using the laptops screen or an external LCD? I do some light work on my 13" but the 1280x800 screen is a killer. even 1440x900 is difficult. I mostly work at my desk with an external @ 1080p which is perfect for me

6. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Definitely performance wise. But as others have echoed the display is small.

Rather than springing the extra $$ for a 15 inch, which is still small, you can get a great 24" IPS monitor for $300. That way you have a portable when you need it, but when docked you get a much bigger screen.

7. Glutenbob thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 23inch ASUS monitor that I can connect to. So I think im set. Thanks for the help guys.

8. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I use a 13" MBP to program in Xcode and it's fine. The only thing I do is add 8GB of RAM to it so it doesn't choke when I have Photoshop + Xcode + Instruments + iOS Simulator + Firefox + iTunes + Twitterrific open :p