Is the MBP 2017 Keyboard okay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nik, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Nik, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

Nik macrumors 6502a

I am wondering if the 2017 keyboard is okay for most people. Any double clicking keys or unrespronsive keys? Problems with dust or sth. which influences the keys?

We have to keep in mind though that this new model is only out for 3 months so issues may develop over time like they did with the original MacBook.

Note: This thread is only about the mid 2017 revision and NOT about the 2016 version!

2. asfalloth macrumors regular

asfalloth

Have no issues with my 2016 13" or my 2017 15" :)

However it would seem I'm just lucky as I read daily on forums like this one that the 2016 has many keyboard malfunctions, not sure about the consensus on the 2017's

3. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

Frankfurt

No issues yet (2017 MBP 15"). The 2017 keyboard seems to have been slightly tweaked regarding noise and key travel (less harsh "landing" when typing). But the shallow travel makes it easier for debris to get stuck and block the mechanisms - I believe this is a design risk.

The other issues seems to be related to heat which changes the behavior of the keys under load. I have not experienced that yet.

4. Patcell macrumors 6502

No issues with my 2017 15”. I’ve had it since launch.

5. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

Haven't had any issues with mine - it is taking a bit to get used to them as they're so different from my 2012, but they work well so far

6. PieTunes Contributor

PieTunes

Bought the 2016 MBP around Halloween last year, never had problem with the keyboard. Sold it when the 2017 MBPs were released and bought the new one. No problems with the keyboard so far. For met they work properly and feel great to use.

7. Nik thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still did not stumple across reports of the 2017 MBp keyboard failing due to dust etc.
    Has anyone had problems?

8. pixelatedscraps macrumors 6502

pixelatedscraps

No, it's not okay. It's a big step backward from the 2013-2015 models. If you're coming from any Apple keyboard from the last 10 years it's going to come with a steep learning curve, especially if you're typing on the itsy bitsy Shift-Delete keys of the 2016 model.

That said, if you're not doing a lot of typing or you plan on using it docked with an external display and keyboard your problems for the most part disappear. That is, until you start typing on it while you're traveling...

Eugh. It reminds me of a ****** Logitxxx keyboard. Oh btw, there are dozens of threads about this already.

#applefail

9. Nik thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is especially about the 2017 keyboard, not the 2016 keyboard since there have been changes. I am fine with the new keyboard but am a little worried about dust etc messing up the key mechanism. I am wondering if it still happens with the 2017 model.

10. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Spend some time with autocorrect disabled.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2017 ---
    Returning my 2017 15" today.

11. Nik thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Keys, especially on double letters like "tt" or "cc" the second letter will often not register. autocorrect masks this. If you FOCUS and make sure you double tap it helps but I've never had to type like that. If I just type as I have for 30 years the second letter doesn't register half the time.

This is how it started with my 2016 13".

I'm done with 2016/2017.
    2016 13" failed keyboard.
    2016 13" repaired keyboard failed
    2016 13" repaired keyboard failed
    2017 13" replacement failed (OS) within hours of opening.
    2017 15" having same issues as original 2016 13"
    Yes. I've emailed Tim Cook. Haven't heard back. Apple Customer Relations has been amazing but they are fighting a tough issue IMO.. as are in-store Apple reps and techs.

13. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I'd say it now feels ok (and I really detested the gen 1 version in the MacBook) but a quick browse in the MBP forum will show up it *can* have drastic reliability issues - at least it's something that's been mentioned by a fair few people who have purchased them. Mainly stuck keys, keys randomly not working and double letters appearing from a single press.

14. JesterAZ macrumors member

2017 13" mbp here.

I've written no less than 100 pages of school work in the last several weeks and have been **** posting on reddit in the same time frame.

My keyboard has been stellar.

15. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

I broke down and bought one of the 2016 15" models from Adorama when it was $1000 off. After a couple of weeks, the "b" and "t" keys started to repeat. Visited genius bar, removed and cleaned both, cleaned rest of keyboard with compressed air.

Started doing it again that night, but not as frequently. Made another appointment, same results. Waiting to hear from Applecare. Went back to my 2014; which also feels infinitely superior (to say nothing of Magsafe, a trackpad that isn't absurdly oversized, etc.).

I'm not impressed with Apple's QC on this generation of MBP.

16. Patcell macrumors 6502

I have only had my 2017 15" since the end of June, but for what it's worth, I have had zero issues with the keyboard as of yet. I type a fair amount on the go and I enjoy the feel of it so far. This thread is making me nervous though...

17. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Don't let it make you nervous. Just be aware that if you start seeing typing errors that it is NOT just you - the machine is likely to be contributing.

18. Nik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Naimfan, this thread is explicitly about the 2017 model and NOT about the 2016 model.

19. Benito macrumors 6502a

Benito

I found that I became used to the new keyboard very quickly. Now using my old MacBook Pro keyboard seems swishy and loose.

20. iOSGoober macrumors newbie

I suspect when all this shakes out through the courts, we will find a very small percentage of keyboards are actually effected. My guess is less than 10%, quite probably substantially less. As we always tend to see with things like this, those with problems complain loudly and frequently and those without just stay away from threads like these as they don't want to deal with the drama.

I suspect we will also find that the keyboard design itself is not inherently defective for all, just not as resilient to certain usage patterns. So for a lot of folks they will never have issues, but for some they will have repeated failures. Of course, that is still a problem that Apple is responsible for addressing.

I don't mean to belittle those who are having problems, I genuinely understand the frustration involved in something like that and I hope you get it resolved and can move on.

I was waiting on a MBPro 15" purchase until after WWDC and I just picked up the '17 model a couple days ago. So far I like the keyboard feel and as you would expect with such a new machine I have not had any problems. If I do, Apple's warranty and AppleCare+ will take care of it.

21. matram macrumors member

Got my 2016 keyboard swapped out for a 2017 four months ago. Worked ok since that, feeling seems a bit better and reliability has improved. Difficult to tell how long it will last. I am for sure much more careful with keeping the keyboard area clean.

22. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

No it's not okay, yet.

I'm sure Apple will come around and rectify the issues and make the butterfly keyboard a true, worthwhile successor to the scissor keyboard, but who knows when that'll be?

If you don't gamble, then don't buy a 2017 MacBook Pro.

23. 537635 macrumors 6502a

Note: this is a 2016 model, but with a 2017 keyboard... which also failed.

December 2016 - purchase
    August 2017 - keyboard nr. 2 (keys slowly started to stick)
    December 2017 - keyboard nr. 3 (same as above)
    January 2018 - keyboard nr. 4 (nr. 3 was actually sticking when I got it from service, this is why such a short interval)

June 2018 - the new 2017 keyboard failed after 3-4 months. Double letters slowly started and also some keys are sticking

So that makes it 3 2016 keyboards and 1 2017 keyboard - all failed after a couple of months.

I am now waiting for a replacement machine. Although I am absolutely sure this will keep happening.

I use the computer for work. Final Cut, Keynote... fans kick in often. I guess these machines are made just for light use.

24. booksbooks macrumors 6502a

No, the touchbar line of MacBook keyboards are not ok. They suck.

It's just a bit better than tapping your fingers on a flat wooden table covered in arborite. That's because:

• There is barely any travel in the keys;
    • The keys are closer together; and
    • The key clicking sound isn't good.
    All of this causes a higher degree of mistakes and a general slow down in typing because of having to go back and fix mistakes. The keys being so close together and with barely any key travel makes for a frustrating experience. Not hitting the right key more often is one result because the keys are too close together. Also, not having a tap registered is another example because of how little key travel there is: as you slide your fingers from one key to another, it's easier to slip off and not get a key tap registered because of how shallow these keys are.

Just typing this post has been frustrating!