is the MBP just always warm to the touch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrklaw, Jun 8, 2018.

1. mrklaw macrumors 68020

Got my MBA swapped out and a shiny new (base model) 13" MBP at work last week. But the damn thing is always very warm to the touch. I installed istat to monitor CPU usage and even keeping it around 10-15% most of the time (I'm trying to avoid high usage while testing), the palm rests and keys are very warm. Not burning hot but it just feels uncomfortable. the top above the function keys is proper hot.

Is this normal? Just want to understand if I need to adjust. istat is reporting the skin temperature sensor usually around 41-42c, and the CPU around 55c. CPU temp seems fine so is this just how it is?

I get that its aluminium so one big heat sink, but you'd think they would at least try and design it to keep the heat away from your hands. Making me want to just use an external keyboard which isn't ideal.

2. Honza1 macrumors regular

Sounds like someone is running. I have 2017 15 inch MBP and when not running external 4k display or doing some serious CPU load stuff, my CPU holds around 5-8% and CPU temperature is 40C or lower. Some owner of 13 inch should tell you what their temperatures are... But sounds like something is running...

3. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Seams a little hot in my opinion. But I am using a 15" 2017 which much like @Honza1 does under 40C with a load between 5-10%

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Another 15" user - Mine is like that when I push it. Under regular usage, not really - fairly cool.

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I have a MBP 13" with TB, previously had a 15" MBP 2011.

One thing I'm liking about this machine is how silent and cool it normally is.
    I bought the TB version since I read it has two fans, instead of just 1 of the base model.

Where can I download iStat?

6. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I have 2017 MBP 13' with TB. I almost never hear the fans spinning unless I'm gaming or doing something like that. That said, the battery temps always seem to be at 90-100F with normal usage. 80F for idle.

iStat Menus with the iStat Helper for the sensors:

CPU is at 53-60C with light to medium usage. Airflow left 39C and Airflow Right 36C. It's 73F/23C at my desk atm. Fans are at 2292rpm and I can't hear them. Palm rest is 32C.

This is my first MBP and it feels warm to the touch normally. My MBA 11' was always cold to the touch.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2018 ---
    I got it from the Mac app store. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/istat-menus/id1319778037

7. robvas macrumors 68030

8. derpsti macrumors newbie

derpsti

I don't really know if this is related but I had the same problem. I figured out that it was Google Chrome sucking way too much energy. Even without any extensions it was still sucking two to three times more energy than Safari (same websites opened).

Is your battery draining fast as well?