Is the MBP picky about RAM, do I need to get "Mac" memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techmonkey, Nov 17, 2011.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I see the categories "Laptop" and "Mac" memory on Newegg.com. Is the MBP really picky about RAM? Do I really need "Mac" labeled RAM?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You don't need "mac" RAM, that's just companies charging more for the exact same thing.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PC ram is PC ram. Its all the same, just a different title.

4. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured that was the case. I remember years ago that certain brands of memory didnt play well with certain PC manufacturers. Thought maybe was the case.

5. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

I've stuck with OWC and have had no problems on any machines

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That is today usually only the sometimes the case with overlcocked RAM. The standard RAM works almost always.

7. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

I upgraded 3 macs with crucial ram (they guarantee it works with macs and don't charge extra for that) and it worked 100%.

On the other side, that thing of "mac memory" is great when you want to sell the original RAM, normally you can sell it for almost the same price of the upgrade you just bought... :D

8. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I've never had any issues with Crucial or Kingston. G.Skill for my 2008 MBP worked, but the one I got for my 2011 was faulty.

9. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

Kingston & Crucial are both very good brands. Reliable. The prices are very good right now. Typical prices now are around $40-$50 for 8GB of RAM.

So cheap and too easy.

10. zaxdude macrumors regular

Lots of existing recent threads on what memory to buy and where to buy it. In fact, there's a Mac RAM Memory Guide sticky at the top of the main thread page for MacBook Pro.

take a test drive on the search function when you get a chance. It's a pretty nice feature...