Is the MBP price tag worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aditghai, Feb 23, 2008.

1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

I am choosing between a MB and a MBP.
    All the things i want to do like websurfing and other non-powerful stuff can be done easily on a MB.

But i love the screen of the MBP.

Is it worth paying the extra money just for the 15 inch screen or will i get used to the 13.3 inch screen.

P.S-I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 right now(15.4 inch) that is why i ask if i will get used to the 13.3 inch

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I would say it's worth it. There are more things the MBP has going for it over the MB though.

3. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I would say its not worth it unless you need the MBP's graphics card for 3-D animation rendering, Motion, or games. In everyday tasks you will not be able to tell the difference in processor speed. The MBP is twice the price! Use the cash saved to purchase a beautiful monitor that you can hook up to your speedy MB.

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Some people might have a hard time adjusting to a smaller screen. It depends on the person. I went 15" to 17" and Air so both are fine to me. I love them both.

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Best mobile computer I have ever owned. I like the aluminum finish and the backlit keyboard. That and the 15 in screen is why I chose it over the black macbook. The MB was pretty nice too.

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I have a 20" iMac and I can work on my MacBook no problem. Sure, you notice you don't have as much space to work with but it's still sufficient. Unless you plan on getting a notebook as a desktop replacement or run a lot of applications that require 3D then you do not need the Pro.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Not worth it unless you need the graphics card. Save a grand and get the Macbook.

8. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

The aluminum construction, dedicated video, larger screen and backlit keyboard are great reasons to justify the extra money.

However if you don't need those things, the MacBook is a great computer.. and much cheaper :)

9. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

I bought a Toshiba satellite Pro something a bunch of years ago and paid about 2300 for it since it had all the latest technology at the time in it, including a super-fancy 64mb graphics card :cool: Anyway, it was way pricey for me, but I was planning on having it for a bunch of years.

Ignoring the processor speed, my Toshiba is actually quite up to date 7 years down the road comparing it to the lower end consumer laptops produced today. If it wasn't for it running Windows I could have still gotten a few years out of it. Actually, I'm using it nowadays while waiting for a new MBP to be released at some point in time (bought a MBP February last year, sold it to my brother this fall).

So the point of the story is: If you get a MBP, you're guaranteed that it will be better than most consumer laptops for many years to come. So you're guaranteed a long life if you take care of it.

If you're willing to spend a few extra hundred dollars, why don't you get the lower-end refurbished MBP? That will close up the price gap between a MB and MBP.

10. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

OP that was my main worry when I decided to sell my 20" iMac and buy a notebook. I did go for the MB and the 20" Apple cinema display. It came to less than the basic MBP.

The screen size was not a problem at all from the moment I turned it on. I have the best of both worlds, portability and when I am at home I can hook it up to the cinema display.

I used the extra cash to buy 4gb ram and a WD Scorpio 320gb HDD and have put them in the MB

11. jonswan macrumors regular

It might not be worth it right now but it will be on Thursday! I loved the MBP screen when I had one - just the keyboard was a horrible mush rather like the old iBooks.