Is the MBP really worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by connor.e, Nov 11, 2011.

1. connor.e, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011

connor.e macrumors member

Hey all,

I'm faced with a very tough decision. Currently, I'm in grade 12 and am going into Ryerson University for film studies. I have a 2010 13 inch MBP 2.4 ghz C2D. Needless to say, editing my T2i's footage on it is a pain in the rear.

I have also recently entered a video contest in which the grand prize is 2500$ CAD. I would use this money to buy a new Mac, but I'm not exactly sure if I should get the 15 inch MBP or the 27 inch iMac.

The 15 inch would be a portable powerhouse, but then carrying it around is somewhat annoying. The iMac would be kept in my dorm room and I would use my 2010 13 inch MBP to take notes, etc in class.

Anyone's advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks! :)

Cheers,
    Connor

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

You can get more for your $ with an iMac, and if you already have a MBP, I would get a killer iMac and just use your current MBP as you stated. Best of both worlds.

3. steveca macrumors 6502

depends whether the heavy lifting needs to be done whilst on the move...

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Is the MBP really worth it?

"Is the MBP really worth it?.."

NO, that is why they sell millions of 'em.. :p

5. warvanov macrumors 6502a

In your situation I would get the iMac. You have a perfectly capable portable computer already. If it's not well suited for processor intensive tasks then don't get another portable, get an even more powerful iMac. That way you'll still have the portability of your current MBP and you'll have all the power of your iMac when you need it.

6. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Get the iMac. A 15" is too big to be carrying every day to class, but that's just my opinion.

7. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Well, the iMac is certainly "one" approach but have you considered a PC for video editing? A lot cheaper... more CPU muscle for the buck.

8. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i love my MBP for portability, but if you don't need to carry it around you can get more iMac for the money.

I carry a 17" with me to my classes, but I use it for autoCAD.

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I'll backup what others have said. An iMac would do you well as you already have a good, not too old, and supported laptop.

Here's some refurbished 27" iMacs

10. Liquinn Suspended

I know, I'm going to be putting my MBP with an external monitor, then I have it all then.

11. dwag3 macrumors newbie

dwag3

In high school I was using a 13" MBP and an external monitor at home but in uni when I switched to the 15" I found I rarely, if ever, needed the monitor. I got the 2.2 gHz (early 2011) MBP and it is awesome for video editing, but in your case the iMac may be the better bet.

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I would go iMac and keep ur old MBP for not taking.

13. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

14. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Not to be that guy, but you understand a film studies major does not involve any production? I know you're entering a contest but what are you going to do with that major? I would hate to see someone waste four years.

As for video editing, go ahead with the imac. Actually, a PC would be an even better option as you get more bang for your buck. And premiere pro works better on a pc.

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This depends entirely on where you go to school. My school's film program was 50/50 in terms of production vs. theory (I think it has become more biased towards theory since, because of faculty-wide budget cuts, though). I believe Ryerson also has a fairly substantial production component. Though that said, OP, I thought York's film program was better regarded than Ryerson's?

In any event, to actually answer your question, get the iMac. You already have a perfectly good portable, and the iMac will make editing more pleasant. :)

16. Wattser93 macrumors regular

I agree with the iMac part.

It depends on the school and your backpack. The 17" is only two pounds more, negligible considering the weight of books and all of that, so if your backpack can carry the 17" and 2 extra pounds, that's not a problem. In my classes, a laptop will dominate the desk anyways, so whether it be a 13" or 17", your desk is unable with your laptop on it. I use my laptop on the desk, and my binder along the arm rest portion of the desk with my notebook to take notes.

In some classes, I have enough space that I run my MBP as my work machine, my school computer as a pseudo external monitor for displaying webpages that I'm using for reference, and my notebook, with plenty of spare room for storing whatever else I want. It definitely depends on the class.

A 17" can be managed at school, it isn't as convenient as a 13", but the screen and power are a huge upgrade. I wouldn't rule out a 15" or 17". See if your school will loan you a 15" or 17" to use. My school will loan out MBPs to students, since your credit card is on file, you're liable. Use it for a week and see what you think. Or buy one and try it, then return in the 14 day return window from Apple.

17. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

just be cautious of the sticky fingers in the dorms. If you get a Imac

18. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I would be more worried about this with a MBP, to be honest. and that's why I have filevault, find my mac, and prey.