Is the MBP worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by palz, Apr 23, 2010.

1. palz macrumors regular

I am in a state of confusion. I have just enough money to buy the new 13-inch MBP - with the 250gb HD, 4gb ram, nvidia 320m, 2.4GHz, etc...
    Is it worth it? I am pretty much set on buying a mac, but cheaper PC counterparts seem to be a better deal.

2. pastparticiple macrumors regular

Depends on your priorities. For me the MBP was a better choice because of the OS and trackpad...BUT the update added things I didn't want and charged me extra for the things I did, so I jumped ship and they didn't get my money.

What is more important to you? You pay a massive premium for the image and fashion part of owning a Mac. If you are willing to eat that loss then they are a nice laptop. For me they are no longer worth the premium but this site is evidence that for many they are worth whatever Apple asks.

Only you can decide if you are willing to spend what they want. If you are willing to pay 2 to 3x as much for the OS then go for it. Otherwise you can get 99% of the same function out of alternative choices...the rest is just fashion.

3. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Buy it - you'll figure it out after owning one, why its truly worth the extra. And then you'll be spoiled and won't want to go back. ;)

4. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

I have the 13" MBP, and I COULD have ANY computer I want (because my employer purchases my machine, and there is no $$ limit). I am perfectly happy with my MBP.

Really, it depends on the tools you need. Specifically, I use Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Aperture, iWeb, and Logic Studio. I also play a bit of World of Warcraft here and there. This machine does everything I want, and more. The size is perfect!

The 13" MBP gets two thumbs up!

5. pastparticiple macrumors regular

Oh please....there is no magical Apple secret that you can only know after paying them for the pleasure. Sure they are nice machines but they are not made of some rare element unobtainable to mere mortals. The only functional thing I miss is the OS really. The rest is window dressing. Make a 15" at a fair price and I would happily go back.

6. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

I'm calling BS here. :rolleyes:

It's not about the OS. It's ALL about the tools you use. Nothing beats iLife for sheer intuitiveness. Logic is better than anything else out there on the PC platform. Aperture is brilliant. And the Apple hardware is fabulous. It will last twice as long as a PC because a) it's simply better built and more durable, and b) Apple won't bloat the crap out of future versions of OSX, rendering the hardware useless. As proof, the footprint and speed of 10.6 is smaller and faster than 10.5.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Good job :]
    I believe you are correct. They all do the same functions, and majority of the time, it's just showboating to others =)

8. pastparticiple macrumors regular

Calling BS? Haha...ok. Apparently your opinion is more valid....sorry about my error :rolleyes:

9. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Glass touchpad? Quality LCD displays without washed out colors? Backlit keyboard? Magsafe adapters? Aluminium unibody without a bunch of ugly vents? Doesn't come with fan turbines to keep it cool? Super long life battery?

All that is not functional design and usability elements? :confused:

Just admit it - you're just too cheap and thus envious. Green much? ;)

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

wow...that's a prideful statement...

11. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

To say that MacBooks are merely fashion items doesn't give credit to the all the progress Apple has brought to the industry. Before apple brought the unibody.. Basically all you could get from laptop mfg. Was a plastic tray with parts screwed on and a shiny intel/windows sticker on your keyboard. Thank god apple is driving the competition and the other mfg. Have stepped up there game.

12. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Oh and many people payed well over 2 grand for there plastic tray laptops. We would still be using these if it weren't for Apple

13. pastparticiple macrumors regular

But this is how the minds of people who worship a brand think. They can't imagine someone would actually critically think and decide how to spend their money. If you don't want to pay for it you must be "cheap" or "stupid". They really believe that.

14. pastparticiple macrumors regular

And you really see that as such a horrible thing right? Life just wouldn't be worth living anymore if our laptops were not aluminum :|

15. cys920622 macrumors member

+1

16. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Oh please - I have an old outdated MBP now. Nothing to show off with. :p

Heck I was totally cheap but not stupid... I got mine at a total steal price on clearance last year. Some people are far too hung up on the latest and greatest specs, if you want a steal for value, then don't go looking for the latest and greatest.

Original (when new) list $2,499, I paid $1,475! :cool:

17. pastparticiple macrumors regular

The touchpad is nice but not worth the premium...the rest you listed I either disagree with or don't care about. I don't see washed out colors on my non Mac screens...in fact I ahve had more trouble with Apple screens than any other laptop I have owned, hate backlit keyboards and turn mine off, I don't care what my plug looks like, I don't care about image so the "style" doesn't matter to me. The real life battery isn't that much better. The OS and trackpad do not justify 3X the price in my mind...and those are the only things I find better.

Why is the first reaction of so many people that someone who thinks like me is jealous or can't afford it? It is a COMPUTER. If I thought it was worth the cash I would buy another. I think you put a little to much of your identity into a brand and try to justify it.

18. ok2uselane macrumors newbie

My roommate just got a Dell, and he's been on the phone with their tech "support" for two weeks! :eek:

I know I'd prefer to not have those kinds of problems in a computer. I'm sticking with Apple, thanks.

Try the refurbished Macs if you are strapped for cash. ;)

19. pastparticiple macrumors regular

I spent equally as much time on the phone with Apple over issues. Why do you assume they are immune? Lot's of myths out there.

In fact the laptop that lasted me the longest with zero problems was a Compaq...and they are supposed to be junk.

20. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

the computer that lasted me the longest was the one I built myself. Funny how when you don't have tech support, you are forced to learn how to do things yourself.

As for the argument going on here, it's basically the age old mac vs. pc thing we've heard a thousand times before. Yes, apple is overpriced for the hardware you get. The design is outstanding, but it alone does not justify the price. Most mac USERS agree that the combination of design, hardware stability, great OS, unification of components, durability, customer support, etc, is what makes paying the apple premium. Most apple FANBOYS will defend their macs to the death, and unabashedly call windows users stupid, wrong, poor, etc. This is why the majority of PC users (aka, the world) hate Apple users, because it only takes hearing a few fanboy rants to make a lasting impression.

In reality, they're both just computers. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, both get the same job done, both can make you perfectly happy. Apple is just more expensive (for a variety of reasons). I'm sure a good part of the apple tax fuels their marketing department, which is the reason they're so desirable in the first place.

21. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Quality and good design doesn't come cheap... And i do agree we definitely need cheap alternatives.

Like with a house.. You can buy a house with hardiplank, paper thin walls/Sheetrock, low grade carpet and hire a cheap architect/builder or you can spend a little more and you can get more.. like what you get with a Mac.

Some people do not understand qualitative difference.. And even believe there isn't such a thing.

22. djjemo macrumors member

I personally believe that it is the robustness of both the hardware and software as a whole that convinces people to go mac, the design keeps us happy and cool, the price tag makes it more exclusive. Once u go mac you never go back! (at least not to what Microsoft is offering in windows at the moment ;))

23. palz thread starter macrumors regular

I would, but I don't think they have this model in need of refurbishedness yet ;)

24. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

All week while I waited for my 13" base MBP the price hovered in my mind.

I got it 4 days ago and that little price worry has disappeared. Now, let's make it clear, I swapped over to OS X back in the Windows XP days and man I could not stand that operating system.

That was 5 years ago when I was 16, as a result OS X is the only OS I've ever really used. I don't have any real input on any Windows OS post XP. Basically, I bought the computer because I'm used to OS X and thought there were a lot of things about the pro to like over the macbook.

Now I have it I very much love it - the screen's lovely, the trackpad feels gorgeous, the battery life is incredible, it runs wonderfully cool and is ridiculously light and thin. It does everything my old mac did but with much better hardware. It's the best computer I've ever used and is a joy to own. I don't regret the purchase.