Is the MBP worth the money vs windows notebook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oceanpro, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Oceanpro macrumors newbie

I am in need of a new notebook. I can not decide if I should spring for a new MacBook Pro, A MacBook or A windows notebook at less than half the cost. I never considered a Mac until I got my iPhone. I love how it works, never any problem of any kind. Sure wish my windows notebook was the same.
    Any advice would be appreciated

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You have not provided any useful information that would allow anyone to answer your question with a degree of helpfulness. Since you're asking, you probably don't need a Mac. It sounds like your first consideration is your budget. If that's the case and you have no requirement for any of OS X's features, I don't see how anyone can justify spending the extra money for a Mac.

3. ScottRB macrumors newbie

The MacBook Air/Pro is more expensive for a reason. With a PC, I'd be cautious. Of course that depends on the brand of the PC but either way it is much more limited to user interference. Most PCs lack durability both internally as well as externally. Being as large and unique as Apple is, it steps away and becomes it's own. It has no viruses, a better user experience with simplicity, multiple-gestures, beautiful design all around, and contains the most advanced software. It also has better durability as if it did not, the hate of this company would cause it to collapse due to the expensive prices. Apple is different and continues to be applauded and looked more into day after day for those looking for a better computing experience. They make a big deal for their users and make sure that they are as satisfied as possible. Expense is the only issue from Apple but once you go Mac, you'll never go back. :apple:

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

Make sure to compare the Mac to a Windows notebook that has the same screen and build quality.

You'll find out that Macs aren't that expensive.

For example: try to find a 13" Windows notebook with similar screen and build quality as the 13" MBP for $1200. I don't think you'll be able to.

If you find one please let know.

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

"You get what you paid for"
    That's what you should go with it. If you don't trust my story, then don't. I bought two laptops in the year 2010: Macbook Pro 13" 2009 and Alienware m11x. I was expecting the Alienware to last longer, because it seemed so much beefier in specs as well as low cost. The problem occurred when the Alienware started giving me random errors and such. I've been using both Windows and Mac OS platform since 2001, so it's not like I didn't know the solution to this problem. The Macbook Pro, on the other hand, just gave be the same result as Day 1. Not too fast, but usable. Gaming was OK, making presentations, FCP7, etc. It was good overall.

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

All I have to say is, a Mac is a much more solid computer that will serve you better, last you longer and save you many headaches. That, to me at least, is well worth what little cost difference there is.

I was of the same mindset as you until I switched to Mac. I couldn't understand or justify the higher price of the Mac. Then I realized that one of my friends' PowerBook from 2004 still worked just fine in 2010, while I have went through 4 laptops in the course of those 6 years.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

compare specs and you'll see that the windows computer is clearly a better deal. i can say that, because they almost always are (there are many reasons for this).

of course, if we assigned values to everything in our lives based on cost, we'd all tricked out in the latest sears fashion, sipping off-brand cokes from sam's club, sitting at the bus stop reading our library books, and waiting for the public bus to show up.

you aren't asking the right question, i think...

8. Typswif2fingers, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

This.

To the OP.. if you can not decide, and you have the money.. go more expensive...

Why the hell not?

If you don't spend your money, your g/f or wife will...

If they don't and you save it, your kids will..

If they don't the govt. will take it...

And if you are single, without kids and live in a tax free country, why do you worry :)

Live for the moment..

So.. I reckon.. spend it on yourself...

Buy a Mac..

You are worth it :)

9. shansoft macrumors 6502

MBP is definitely not worth its money when it compare to Windows based Notebook in most part. It really up to user preference to make Apple product a option to choose from.

You really won't find much useful information here in a Mac forum other than suggest for a Mac throughout the thread.

If you find in need of any OSX exclusive software, go for MBP, other than that I really don't find anything to that makes people choose MBP over Windows Notebook, especially at its price point.

Someone did mention about the durability, that is definitely not true, especially when failure rate is on par with any other brand.
    The shell is easier to dent than most of the laptop out there too.

10. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

No worries Steve

Just kidding...

11. Oceanpro thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help

Thanks for all the answers to my post. I was pretty much sold on a Mac when I made the post. Today I test drove my friend's new Dell w/ windows 7. That convinced me. I could not bring myself to buy another windows piece of crap,so I promptly drove into Anchorage and purchased my new Macbook Pro. I really love this machine. A bit of a learning curve but it seems pretty simple for what I do.
    Thanks again for your replies
    Jeff

12. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Good choice, and congrats on your new Mac!

13. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Good man. :)

I don't understand how people can compare a plastic Windows notebook to an Aluminum one. There's such a massive difference in build quality its not even funny. Then we can talk about the battery life, os security differences and resale value and its a complete no brainer.

But, there are many people who find sticker price trumps all. And, they are certainly in the majority so I'll just quietly disagree. :)

14. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Mac.

Most (if not all) people buy Windows PCs because (shocker!) they're cheaper up-front.

I've yet to understand is why PC people seem to think saving $$$ up-front translates into saving any money at all. I get that people like their PCs or dislike Macs but cannot understand loving Microsoft or Windows for that matter. Microsoft has done nothing but abuse its customers over the last decade.

For example, the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE)...

When you buy a new PC, the first thing the manufacturer does is load you up with upgrade-ware and a copy of Norton with a 30 day trial. Microsoft finally released their own freebie Antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) but only after charging customers for the priviledge as Microsoft OneCare a few years prior. Macs do not require antivirus or anti-malware but software is available on the open market. Thus far, the only malware intrusions that have been seen on the Mac involve user initiation and authentication--the user has to enter their password to let it happen.

Second, the user has to make their own recovery discs! Let me say this again: The user has to make their own recovery discs! This has been going on since '06 as Microsoft will charge the OEM less $$$ if they do not include original discs. If the user wants pre-mastered recovery discs, they have to pay upwards of $20 to the company they bought the computer from. When you buy a Mac, you open the box, and right there are two DVDs--OS and Applications. If you have a Macbook Air, you get a factory flash drive that includes the OS.

Third, when you open a new PC, there's a ton of advertising stickers on the computer, and flyers in the box (notably, HP is guilty of this) for various vendors. They subsidize the cost of the PC with advertising dollars to preinstall or preload other companies' products as well. Macs come with none of this.

Fourth, if the user wants to upgrade your Windows PC to the next version of Windows, there triple-digit cost involved. Mac OS upgrades are $30.

Fifth, Windows PCs are sold with traditionally cut-down versions of Windows unless the user pays for an upgrade to the Ultimate Edition. Macs only come with one version of Mac OS.

Lastly, Microsoft will not even talk to you should have a problem with Windows (their software). All support is all deferred to HP, Sony, Dell, et al. (Memories of "You'll need to call Microsoft Dell HP Sony come to mind). Apple supports the hardware and the software.

15. simsaladimbamba

Congratulations.
    Now you have some reading to do I guess:

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Apple Notebook Battery FAQ by GGJstudios

16. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Congrats! Despite the price increase I, too, wanted a notebook that would just work and that's what I found with my MBP. It's a very sexy machine, but the OS and apps are what drive the user experience and that is what I was looking for. I hope your machine is more than what you were expecting, like it was for myself.

17. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

YES! Get a Mac and don't look back! Trust me. I've been a windows user for 20 years and I haven't been happier with the switch. It's not really a battle of windows vs OSX, it's a battle between Apple and PC companies (HP, toshiba, Sony etc). Since Apple is so big and known for their quality and strong build, they don't have to cut corners and rip you off like many of the PC brands I've seen.

18. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Good choice man, and congrats :D

19. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Is it worth the money? Probably not; when looking at laptops that are in the same price range(I'm mainly referring to ThinkPads; aside from a HP(and a GateWay less than a month) all of my laptops have been think pads) the MacBook isn't that special, and for sure aren't as durable. My favorite thinkpad was my T61; I literally treated it like it was a book, threw it onto the couch, threw my bag around(at that time it was the basic throwback jansport) with it in it, threw it in the back seat of my car, would drive with it in my trunk, whatever. It took it all and wanted more; while I don't baby my MacBook, I do keep it in a HardCandy shell all the time and, more often than not, an incase sleeve. Keeping any of my think pads in a case or sleeve was something that never crossed my mind. So while I love my MacBook, I honesty think that my thinkpads were better built laptops, but IMO the MacBook is better suited to me, and the build quality is still high enough that it isn't a problem.

Yeah, when I compare my MacBook to my HP dv2000, the MacBook is built like a tank, even more so compared to the Gateway(It was a T-15xx, it was 14", why the model number was T-15xx is beyond me); but it should be when both of them were around the cost of my MacBook. So comparing the two is a little pointless IMO.

20. mystik610 macrumors regular

For me, as a long time windows user, the value of a Mac goes beyond the cost of the components. OSX, the build quality of the machine, and the ownership experience add to the value of the machine IMO....this might not be the case for a lot of people...or even for most people, but if there wasn't a market for Apple's products at their current prices, which are usually quite a bit more expensive than similarily spec'd machines, Apple would not be enjoying the success they've had thus far.

For me the ability to run both OSX and Windows in tangent was a big plus for me. My Macbook pro will serve quite a few purposes. It will be my workhorse for grad school, my "leash" for work, and my workstation for photography jobs I do on the side. Both Windows and OSX have distinct advanteges for different uses. The ability to run both goes a long way....its literally like having two machines (at least the way I use it).

Ownership experience is important for me too. As a gadget freak, I've all sorts of electronic devices, and quite honestly, Apple is better to their customers than any device manufacturer I've had to deal with. When the button on my iPhone 4 stopped working, they flat out replaced it. They also fixed the screen on my wife's 3GS for free as a courtesy when she cracked it.

I've had several other devices break on me over the years....including a Samsung TV (3 months of hell to get it replaced), several HTC phones (lots of mailing devices back and forth, and not ever fixed correctly the first time), and an Onkyo receiver that I currently have in the shop (no home theater at home for the past 3 weeks and counting!) because an HDMI board fried...which is apparently a common problem for their receivers.

Without being pretentious, to me the difference between a Mac and a PC is like the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus. At their core they may share the same components and be built from the same platform, but the fit and finish on the Lexus will be quite a bit better. Plus Lexus will give you free oil changes and car washes, a loaner car when you bring it in for service, and will all around appreciate you more as a customer

21. macphipsi macrumors newbie

As a college student, I can honestly say the value of a MBP goes far beyond the sticker price.

The long battery life and other features are great, but for me the best part is the peace of mind. I know if anything ever goes wrong, I can take my computer right into the apple store and get the problem diagnosed and most likely fixed. I have found that in the apple store, the employees try to help you out. I have never had to pay for a repair and in one instance they gave me a loaner. Having a mac is like have the performance and beauty of a ferrari, but the convenience of being able to bring it into any toyota dealership for service and repairs.

22. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

PC notebooks have the price going for them. Be aware though that the chassis is with near 100% going to be plastic and may flex and creak when the device is moved or even typed on. The Macbook Pro's aluminium unibody is a really solid piece of engineering.

Also the LCD screen on many PC laptops tend to be vastly inferior to the screens Apple uses. This is particularly important if you want to actually use the built-in display rather than hook up to an external one.

These are the two major points one notices directly, but the whole internal design and build quality for the Mac is typically way better than what you find in a PC laptop for half the price. You get a great keyboard, slot-in optical drive, relatively good speakers for a portable computer, a HUGE ten-point capacitive glass touchpanel and so on. There's "Apple tax" involved here too of course; a Mac is always going to be more expensive than a similar quality PC, that's just the way it is. If this is worth it to you depends on your needs, and, eh, the amount of money available to you...

Note that Apple hardware usually is niftier than PC in some ways, and sometimes more limited in others. For example, while you get a headset 3.5mm audio jack on the macbook that also doubles as digital optical output (something pretty much unheard of on most PC laptops), you only get 2 USB jacks on that same macbook because Steve Jobs doesn't want connectors on more than one edge of the laptop. :p

Also note that OSX can be a splash of cold water in the face of experienced Windows users. Macos doesn't do stuff the same way Windows does, so when you expect something to work it might not (like, alt-tabbing, cut&paste hotkeys for example). It might also do something else than what you expect (like, double-clicing the title bar of a window produces hugely different results in the two OSes.)

Sure, you can run Windows on a modern Mac to avoid any issues of confusion, but doing this gimps it to some extent. Particularly where the touchpad is concerned, but may also affect performance with turbo modes on your CPU, battery life and so on. Macs are meant to run Macos, that's the way you best harness their power.

23. dime21 macrumors 6502

a windows notebook is not half the cost. a cheap plastic one, maybe, but if you look at windows notebooks of similar build quality to the mbp, the price is about the same.

it all comes down to whether you want to run microsoft windows as your operating system, or mac osx.

24. thornguy macrumors regular

I purchased an MBA 13" 128SSD this past Friday and used it heavily all weekend. Its my first Mac and my only previous experience has been short lived Hackintoshs and vmware instances. I wanted something smaller and lighter than my overly large and heavy notebook.

The OS, apps and the UI are very intuitive, well thought out and logical.
    The actual hardware is in another league, it feels solid, well put together. Like other Apple products it doesn't seem like a mass-market retail product. There is no plastic. No cheap materials, no buttons that don't feel or fit quite right. There is nothing on it that I can point to and say that will be broken or worn out in a year.

Even the packaging is beyond the normal. There is no Styrofoam, plastic bags, or cardboard. It sounds silly, but from the minute you open the box you can feel and see where the extra money went. That is to quality, attention to detail, and respect for the user.

So... this morning I sat down at my desk with my work dell laptop and I felt like I'd gone back in time. Without thinking I was trying to use Gestures to move around in apps. Everything seemed kludgy and slow and I miss my Mac/OSX.

Buy One. You'll love it.

25. Eradik macrumors regular

Good choice!

I got my first Mac in November last year after using Windows my entire life. Every single day I grew more and more in love with the Mac OS. I assure you as time goes on you will love it more and more!