Is the Mid 2014, 15" MBP even worth it?...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kal-037, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I mean the CPU is great and the battery are good but I keep hearing many people saying that the dGPU (GT 750M) is absolutely horrid. (Which saddens me.) I bought the 2014 and now I'm kind of thinking maybe I should go with something else. I know so many come on here asking for advice on what to do... So I guess I'm just asking if anyone thinks the 2014 is even worth getting now? (A little bit of Buyers remorse I suppose)
    Thanks. :)

Kal..

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

I think the stock one is worth it (without dGPU)...if you're not looking to game or need a dGPU - you can get some killer deals on it.

If you're specifically after a dGPU - wait.

If not - get one of the deals going on, and be happy with a quad core retina laptop.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Do you game??

If so is it running your games fine???

If it is then it is worth it...

If you don't game then it really makes very little difference unless you are running CUDA accelerated software...

If you bought it in 2014 you have had months of a great machine that is always worth it...

If you bought it 2 weeks ago at full price it probably wasn't worth it, if you got a great deal on older tech then it is still worth it. A dGPU is only important if you utilise it.

4. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Thanks gents, I bought it for around 2100. I wanted the higher CPU and storage. I did also want the dGPU as I am going back to school for animation and some photo/video editing and felt that dGPU would be needed.
    Thanks again.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The dGPU in these notebooks will only be helpful if the applications you're using have CUDA support. If they're OpenCL, the Iris Pro would have been the better choice.

6. lionmanpt macrumors regular

Can you give me examples of applications with CUDA support ?

7. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

it's just that you're paying too much for obsolete component. but if the 750m is enough for what you need your notebook to do, then i wouldn't worry about it. tho apple seriously needs to discount that model. it's ridiculous to still charge that much for it.