Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Mighty Mouse ain't all that bad

I have a few qualms with the Mighty Mouse...

Second, the scroll ball gets dirty and refuses to scroll in certain directions, necessitating a cleaning. Dirty mouse balls?! I thought we were past this years ago.

Third, the right-click. I strongly feel I should not have to adapt the way I use my mouse just so that one manufacturor can stick with its arbitrary wish to have a mouse that appears to only have one button. As it is, about 30% of the time I right-click, I accidentally left-click instead, and often that causes counterproductive things to happen (like I shift-click a bunch of items in a selection to perform an action, accidentally left-click and lose the selection.. doh!)

First of all, any mouse that use's a ball is going to get dirty. "clicker wheels" get dirty as well, though not as much, but they're also limited to one directional scrolling.

There's two options for you. 1: don't use it. 2: clean your hands before you use the mighty mouse.

I used to agree with you that apple should include the normalized left and right clicks, but having used apple for over 10 years now, I've found that the only real set back to the one click is with video games, and the mighty mouse has alleviated that problem to a certain extent.

qtpie36963

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
I think the mighty mouse is good for people with small hands!! I have small hands and I never click my side buttons unintentionally. My scroll doesn't clog either, but I think it's because my hands are always clean when I touch it. I think over all the mighty mouse is all about personal preference (and hand size) because I love mine, but a lot of people don't!

Tman90

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2007
Bath, England
i'm looking for a new mouse i just don't like the mighty mouse. the wheel gets dirty, yes, but my main problem is the middle click ability. i use mouse gestures in firefox, and if i want to middle click on a link to open it in a new tab, the scroll wheel usually scrolls down a bit and then clicks, meaning i don't actually click on the link. very annoying :mad:

also the fact that the left and right clicks are not independent is kinda annoying.

i've been looking to get this:

11V2tpTI3QL._AA200_.jpg

Logitech V470

I just want a bluetooth mouse with no docking stand (i don't want anything else on my desk!)

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
My mighty mouse died after 1 month, and was replaced under applecare, the new one jumps around sometimes...

...i do like the look of it, and how it projects a little red mouse onto the desk!

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I actually like my Mighty Mouse. I got my first one two years ago, and it just died. Not bad at all, considering most start going bad after 6 months or so. The key is just keeping the ball clean, and it should be fine. It takes awhile to get used to the design, since it's much more rounded than other mice on the market. Otherwise, it's a fine mouse. Kinda expensive though.

ray648

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
I've got bluetooth mighty mice on both my imac and macbook and I love them. Took me a few days to get used to the right click when I first got one but now I do it without even thinking. I've not had any problems with accidently pressing the sides, or the scroll ball clogging up.

Two really good things about it I have found are that because the pad on bottom that it slides on goes all the way round not just small pads in the corners like most mice, it collects dirt on the pad not in the optical parts. Also, because the off switch covers the optics, when I carry the one I use with my macbook about, it doesn't clog up with dirt from my bag.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
I can't say many good words about our Mighty Mouse, I wish I could, but I just simply hate it.

Well, it looks pretty nice, and the 360˚ ball was a decent idea, but I can't say much more about it.

It's a pain to right click, the scroll ball with under 3 months of use is starting to get flimsy. It dirties pretty often, has no ergonomics, and the side buttons are unpredictable.

cdavi060

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
maybe i missed it but i was wondering if someone could post the best ways to clean the mouse ball. i had one stop working scroll down all together and had it replaced with a new one now it seems this one skips sometimes...i want to know how to clean it

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
I have a problem with mine. I've had it since August without any problem and cleaning it normally with paper. One time last month I was cleaning it again and I don't know if I wasn't evenly applying pressure or the surface wasn't flat but it now has scratches all across the ball and doesn't scroll with as much ease and makes a faint click when scrolling.

iphonesrq

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
Tampa
that mx revo looks nice...can someone tell me if it has the same functions as the mm? Can it expose, bring up widgets, etc?

Nichod

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I don't like the mighty mouse either. Of course I don't like mice period. I prefer trackballs, when I first started using a trackball I hated it. But I love the precision and not having to lift up my hand. I use it more than my intuos.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I really disliked the MM. Its now gathering dust in a drawer next to a first generation Microsoft mouse and some unknown brand mouse.

Sad thing is id probably use the MS one before I touch the MM.

I really didnt like the feel of it. It felt like something that they just thought looked cool but didn't really test to see if it was functional.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
that mx revo looks nice...can someone tell me if it has the same functions as the mm? Can it expose, bring up widgets, etc?

Sure! It actually has a TON more functionality than the MM. It has 9 (I think) total buttons/input options -- almost all of which can be completely adjusted to specific functions that you need.

For example, you can set the two side buttons to run expose (tile windows and desktop) or they can instead be forward/back buttons. You can even set them up to be key combinations such as setting one to be command+c for 'copy' and the other for 'paste'.

You can set the rollers to switch between applications among other things and scrolling - obviously.

I am planning on using the top button to call up spotlight, but not 100% sure yet. Need to see how it feels.

Check out this link for a review on the revolution:
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2843

CorkBOY

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2005
Cork Ireland
I have one and its great, I have just tons of mice before and nothing really beats it. It should come standard with all new Macs instead of the wired one. ,....... wires are sooooooo yesterday

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007

MX Revo is by far the best mouse out there IMO for the mac. I use it in its default settings and it works great. That was my biggest concern when buying it was the way the dashboard and expose would work, because I use those functions allot. Let me tell you it is awesome it really works well and very well designed. The free scroll wheel does take some getting used to but it is nice, and it's cool how you can switch from free scroll to clicking scroll through the software. You hear this click on the mouse when you select it and boom it magically goes from free to click scroll, pretty cool if you ask me. Ergonomics wise it is light years ahead of MM, really well thought out if you're a righty obviously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.