Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
A stainless Watch with milanese loop will be a fairly hefty combo. You'll definitely feel it on your arm when running, it might be distracting having a weight on one of your wrists.

Also, the constant motion and the heft of the watch itself might make the magnetic clasp loosen and make the pulse sensor lose contact with your wrist. *shrug* I haven't used the milanese loop, I only test-wore it (upon which it pinched my arm hairs, ugh), and it fit very securely in the store I thought, but I've no idea how it holds up in the long run and during strenous exercise, and especially if the band is drenched in sweat.

I'm very happy to report that the heft was not distracting at all! :) I also did not notice the clasp unlocking while in motion, though I will say upfront that I wasn't sprinting. It's also late autumn in Seoul, and I have yet to run indoors wearing it.

I suspect it's because stainless metal gets cold when the air is frigid - having cold metal constantly in contact with your skin might be uncomfortable. If you wear a long-sleeved sweatshirt or similar while running it wouldn't be a prob tho. :)

Also, again - arm hair pinching. Maybe not a concern for you, I dunno, but I can't use metal armbands for any reason. I hate the sensation of suddenly and randomly feeling hairs on my arm getting pinched, it's a sadistic form of torture IMO...

After wearing the ML for a few days, I have yet to encounter any hair plucking. I have really fine hair on my arms.

This is NOT to say your opinions suck. I realize that the Apple Watch is probably one of the most customizable product made by Apple, what with the wide variety of bands and third-party accessories available for it, so I realize that what works for one does not work for another, and vice versa.

Reactions: Lennyvalentin

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am about to order an Apple Watch in a few hours, and I am considering stainless steel + Milanese 42mm.

Is this a versatile-enough combo for the following scenarios:

- Running
- Casual wear (t-shirts and jeans)
- Business setting (suit and jacket)

If not, is there a different combo, other than Hermes or the Edition?

I had the milanese loop but it would not stay in place and was sliding and changing sizes. I found myself having to adjust it all the time. Traded it and bought my first leather loop and LOVED IT! It allows me to change size quickly and does not change of slip so far. I have three now and found they work the best for me.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I use my Mil loop M-T. It's dressier for work. On dress down Friday I go with one of my many sport bands through the weekend.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
It's light and very comfortable, but has an Achilles heel in my experience. It loosens up constantly, I'd find myself tightening it several times per hour. This was just in the office, I could only imagine it would be worse doing something active. I went back to the sport band for the gym, and I got a nice stainless steel bracelet for the office.

What's odd is that many don't report that it loosens, but many do. So I really have no idea what the difference is between people, maybe wrist size. I have a medium wrist at 81mm.
I have the gold Milanese loop and especially if I'm busy, I have to adjust the watch on my wrist too. It's a nuisance at times, but I'm glad I have because it is so comfortable.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
It works amazing for everything, except for working out because your arm shakes and jiggles the band loose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.