iPad mini Is the mini 3 futureproof?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JakeJLF, Nov 1, 2014.

1. JakeJLF macrumors member

JakeJLF

Hey guys. I will soon be getting the iPad mini 3. First of all, yes I know I can get the 2 and save money, but I want Touch ID and Apple no longer sells it in 64GB. (I also like the slight camera redesign on the 3) I've looked at the display (colors are fine to me) and everything in person, But I have one big question: IS it futureproof? Late last year I bought a 64GB iPod 5 and I thought it would last me 3 years before things started getting crazy like my 4 did. False. Everything crashes in iOS 8 and it's almost unusable. Very sad about that. I looked at the mini 3 today, I was impressed. Screen is awesome and the size is perfect. And 1 huge thing I was impressed with, THE SPEED. It was CRAZY fast. I think the device is awesome, and I don't want the air 2.

So what do you think? :rolleyes:

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I think any Apple mobile device has 1 iOS update in it before it becomes crazy and unstable.

3. icecoldart macrumors member

icecoldart

Hmm my iPhone 4s handles iOS 8.1 quite well, some slow downs occur from time to time but it's nothing major.

4. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

Nah

My iPod 5 was fine with 7.

5. Dan70 macrumors regular

Well I got the iPad Mini 3 in 64GB (Gold) and I can say after the fair amount of use after one day (so not too much but I think enough), it's great. Performance is great and yes, even though it has the A7 chip from last year, I do think it'll handle things fine until at least iOS10 or whatever happens in a couple of years with iOS.

You should definitely get it, I think it'd be worth it. Whilst the Mini 2 has pretty much the same internals, that's more likely to be axed and unsupported before the Mini 3 is considering it did get a reboot this year.

Whilst it wasn't much... it was a reboot.

6. newellj macrumors 601

It's a year LESS future-proof than the Air 2, presumably. As you know, the 3 didn't get an SoC upgrade this year. You're buying into the same generation hardware as the original Air and the Mini Retina (Mini 2).

7. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

I know

Yes, I know

8. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Then you know that the 1GB RAM in the Mini 3 compared to 2GB RAM in the Air 2 will not be as future proof for 64-bit apps. I have the rMini, and I agree that it is fast, but for future iOS upgrades and what developers will do with 64-bit apps, I think 2GB will become the minimum bid for continued performance.

That said, I have an iPad 3 with iOS 8.1, and it is still plenty smooth considering what is powering it, but it lags in places. If getting 3 years of solid performance and upgradability out of your tablet is the main consideration, the Air 2 is your only option.

9. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

Well I want at least 2 years. So unfair you can't get the best because your opinion :mad:

10. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

There is no such thing as future proof. That said, our original ipad is still being used around the house for emails, calendar and a few apps. Any ipad you buy today should be good for 3-4 years.

11. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Probably equally as futureproof as the Mini 2. I just recently purchased the Mini 2 over the iPad Air 2 and I think it's the perfect size. Too bad it didn't get updated internals. On a positive note, money is saved!

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

The first future proof iPad will be the last one Apple makes.

13. Nozuka macrumors 68000

my iphone5 is doing fine with ios8.

but ios9 will probably be a problem.

14. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

It's not future proof because it's already in the past. It's a 2013 iPad. Now it's 2014.

15. matraco macrumors regular

Did you restore it to factory settings and install everything from there? people in the ipod touch forum claim this have solved a lot of problems for them.

True that. However, the ipad 2 might be what we would have called future proof in retrospective...

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Nothing is truly future proof. Everything will work for a certain amount of time. Though just how long varies by device and expectations. I just got my Mini 3. Was happy with my original Mini until iOS 8.1. It just didn't have the storage I needed anymore and it had just enough of a slow down that I figured it was time. Now had I left it JB 7.1.2, it would of just kept on trucking. I wanted Swype though, so that was my priority.

I've also got a 5s as my new daily driver so I can switch out my 5c (I really don't want it getting messed up, it's my favorite device ever).

Overall, I know these devices won't stay with me forever. I just enjoy them for now.

17. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Nah… I'd say two updates at least.

My iPod touch started with iOS 6.x factory-installed. Still running quite well on iOS 8.1. I doubt that iOS 9 will work well (if Apple allows it to install in the first place) on my iPod.

But that's OK with me. As long as iOS 8.1.x continues to run well on my iPod touch, I will keep using it for a few more years as a secondary device (mostly for music).

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. While I'm sure it will be good for a couple of years, it would have been nice to get the upgraded processor.

19. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

OP, if you want the iPad mini 3, get the iPad mini 3. However, I would definitely look for some good deals. Wait until Black Friday, don't even bother with the stores, look online. If Apple follows the Black Friday sale they had last year you'll be able to get a $50 gift card for future purchases with your iPad mini. Best Buy and other stores will have sales with maybe $20 off and a free gift card so keep an eye out. All the ads will start leaking these next few weeks so now will be plan where your going to buy your iPad.

Good luck! I'll be hunting the online sales this Black Friday, I hope to get a good deal on the iPad Air 2.

20. Nee412 macrumors 6502

It's more future proof than the iPad Mini 1. To be honest though, being fully future proof is actually impossible for technology like the iPad. Technology will always evolve. Look back 10 years ago and remember when we didn't have iPhones or iPads. Computing was very different. In ten years time it will be different again in ways we can't even imagine yet.

Of course back to the current reality. An iPad Mini 3 will be good for at least 2 years as a great speedy tablet. Then however many more you like as simply a capable tablet. Depends on your needs really.

There are still quite a few people around using first gen iPads, and that came out in 2010.