Is the Mini powerful enough for my needs?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nido24, May 30, 2011.

1. nido24 macrumors newbie

I am trying to find a desktop computer. I need it to browse the web, watch YouTube, use iMovie, use iPhoto, and use GarageBand. While I understand the Mac Mini is not an iMac or a Mac Pro, I wanted to know if it would fit my needs.
    (BTW, I would be editing 1080p video in iMovie.)

2. asdf542 macrumors 6502

Yes it would, just wait for the next refresh as the CPU will be getting quite a big bump and will help reduce your iMovie export times.

3. Gears of Apple macrumors newbie

4. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Yeah sure, as long as you're not planning to do heavy gaming on it. Most people seem to use mac minis as media centers because they're small and hook up to a tv easily, but they're great desktop computers too. I like them better than imacs because they're easy to open and you're not stuck with a glossy screen. :D

5. mistamidget macrumors newbie

They are perfect in a desktop environment.
    I replaced the standard drive with a Seagate XT hybrid and put 6gb of RAM in so I can run Vbox effectively and it boots very quickly and now has plenty of storage.
    The most important thing though is that you can connect big HD TV's easily.
    My eyesight is not so good these days and as the cost of TV's is plummeting making it feasible to get a bigger TV for the main entertainment area you can put the old ones on your desktop.
    I have a couple of what are now small 32" HD TV's connected so can see easily without having to put my glasses on as is the case with my notebook.

6. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

The current model is a little slow on iMovie exporting, but it works. Garageband & iPhoto are great on it. All of your other activities will be no problem.

Apple doesn't make anything that doesn't work with the stuff that comes on it. Some machines are quicker than others, but they'll all work.

7. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559